ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Q Pasa! ?

Q Pasa! ? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
kirani
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi,

Would you like to share experienes with Q Pasa! ?

Regards,
Kiran
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Well, I guess I would give it an A- overall.

What I like...
1.) I have one place to go to to see our entire MQ infrastructure.

2.) I can do anything to any MQ object anywhere. Add/delete objects on any machine, as well as change any properties.

3.) I can look at messages, clear messages, put messages, copy messages, etc., on any machine in our network, from my desktop

4.) Different security levels allow us to distribute the app to non MQ developers. These versions have a restrictive setting which allows the user to only view objects. They cant change anything. Contrast this to the MQ support level, where I can do anything to any object. And of course, you can scale dozens of security levels in between these 2 extremes.

What I don't like...
1.) if I am looking at QM1 on Machine A, I have tied up that view in QPASA for myself only. No one else can look at any other objects on that machine till I get out. (This does not affect regular MQ traffic. This is only within the QPASA environment)

2.) You can't see all the queue depths with one view. You have to drill down and do properties on the queue you want to see the depth on, and then keep clicking refresh. Yes, you can create a "custom view" which allows you to place a bunch of queues together to watch, but at best u might be able to get only 30 queues in a view and every 5 seconds is the best refresh rate you will get with QPASA.

3.) Sporadic problems where I cant view a particular queue manager for whatever reason. Usually our MQ tech support can solve this in a couple of hours, but its annoying when you really need the tool. (I am not the person who actually installs the product and maintains it, rather I am the person who uses it day in and day out. As such, I cant tell you how many of or mostly minor problems are real QPASA problems, or configuration issues. Either way, they all get fixed rapidly if and when they do happen. MQSoftware is a great company. I have taken 3 classes there and plan to take more)

So, all in all, I'd say it is a very good product. This may sound corny and straight out of a brochure, but my job WOULD be a lot more difficult were it not for this tool.

kirani
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Peter,

Thank you very much for your answer. Do you have any idea how much does this product cost?

Regards,
Kiran
Tibor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Peter,

There is any way to get / download a trial version of QPasa? Because I was twice on MQSoftware's Contact us site and never, nobody was contacted me
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Sorry, I don't know what the price is. The product was installed when I started working in the MQ dept.

I am not aware of a trial version being out there.

I have a conferance call this Tuesday with one of their chief tech people with my team to give them our latest wish list for the next release. I will ask about a trial version.

TonyD
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2001 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

I have just started to evaluate the product and so far am fairly impressed. I do have a couple of questions however:
1. It appears that one cannot build alerts that reference queue attributes such as MAXQDEPTH...rather you have to explicitly code the value in the alert e.g. 10000. Is this correct?
2. So far I cannot see how one can initiate actions following an alert; for example if a channel stop alert is driven I would like to issue a 'START CHANNEL'.

PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2001 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

1.) The closet thing I can think of is relying on the built in 80% and 100% queue depth alarms that happen automatically.

2.) Nope, haven't seen a way to automatically do something to the MQ Infrastructure when an alert sounds. I guess that's what they pay us for!

bigdavem
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2001 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

You'll find that pricing for products like this are based on the number of MQ nodes you have and the make/model/# of cpus they have.

[ This Message was edited by: bigdavem on 2002-03-17 21:36 ]
kfhickel
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2001 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an employee of MQSoftware, Inc. let me apologize for any failure to contact you (or anyone else). If anyone would like to be contacted by our sales organization, let me know, and I'll make sure that someone contacts you.

If anyone has technical questions about Q Pasa!, ask them, and I'll either answer or refer you to our tech support organization.

I have no pricing information, but we are very competitively priced, and I can have sales get in touch with you.

Thanks,
Kelly Hickel
Senior Software Architect
MQSoftware, Inc.
Minneapolis, MN
kfh@mqsoftware.com
kfhickel
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Q Pasa! 3.0 coming! Reply with quote

Since this topic is all about Q Pasa!, I wanted to let all you folks know that Q Pasa! 3.0 is already in beta and will be released GA sometime this quarter (Q3 2002).

It's a significant new architecture focused on scalability and performance, but it also addresses many of the issues brought up in this topic.

Anyway, I just wanted to let folks know, ask if you have any questions!

Kelly Hickel
Senior Software Architect
MQSoftware, Inc.
Minneapolis, MN
kfh@mqsoftware.com
Tibor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Q Pasa! 3.0 coming! Reply with quote

Grand Master

kfhickel wrote:

Anyway, I just wanted to let folks know, ask if you have any questions!

Hi Kelly,

I had already read the 'Announcement' brochure, but this is not enough verbose for me.
1. "Enhanced administration features provides reusable templates for topics, events, history, security and media, allowing users to automate routine administration tasks"
- then can I do ALL of the setting from command line, perhaps on the Real-Time Server?
2. "New scalable architecture supports multiple server sets"
- only multiple server or multi-tier servers?
3. "New Java-based Management Console features enhanced functionality to provide better integration..."
- is this an all-in-one Console? (ConfigMgr, Explorer, Domain/Event Editor, Security Manager)
kfhickel
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Q Pasa! 3.0 coming! Reply with quote

Hi Tibor,
Well, you know that you have to be careful when you read Marketing Material!

Anyway, the Enhanced admin feature bullet is talking about the fact that when you set up an event or history rule, in the 2.3 product you had to set up the rules for each and every topic. In 3.0, you can define the rules in a template, then just drag each object you want to use that template. It's much easier.

The multiple server set bullet refers to the fact that with 3.0 you can use a single client machine to attach to different server sets (you pick a server set when you start the client, you can't conect to multiple sets at the same time), which you couldn't do in 2.3. This helps, for instance, if you have Q Pasa! in production and in test, with 2.3, you would have had to have two client machines, one for each server set.

The new management console encompasses all functionality *except* the configuration manager. For now the config manager is the same as it was in 2.3.x, but a future release will fold these functions into the management console.

Thanks,
Kelly
Tibor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Q Pasa! 3.0 coming! Reply with quote

Grand Master

kfhickel wrote:
For now the config manager is the same as it was in 2.3.x, but a future release will fold these functions into the management console.

OK, but Config Manager really same, or even wiser, e.g.
- connecting to the agents directly (v2) or through the server?
- allowing concurrent connections?
kfhickel
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Q Pasa! 3.0 coming! Reply with quote

It's pretty much the same (with numerous bug fixes). There just wasn't time to rewrite that as well, and still meet the delivery goals. Again, this WILL be rewritten and merged into the product. The concurrent connection issue you mention will be resolved Q1 2003.

There's relaly no downside to having the config manager contact the agents diretly (and that isn't responsible for the concurrency issue above), is there some reason that you mention that in particular?
-Kelly
Tibor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Q Pasa! 3.0 coming! Reply with quote

Grand Master

kfhickel wrote:
There's relaly no downside to having the config manager contact the agents diretly (and that isn't responsible for the concurrency issue above), is there some reason that you mention that in particular?

We are working on a large network with a lot of firewalls. So if I like to configure a remote queue manager I should have permission for connection (strictly with IP address + port numbers). But firewall guys don't like to handle a lot of addresses... that's why needed the Config Manager is talking to RTS instead of agents.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Q Pasa! ?
Jump to: