ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum IndexGeneral IBM MQ SupportCreating QM without "qmgrs" directory

Creating QM without "qmgrs" directory View previous topic :: View next topic
LavMQ1980
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:31 am Post subject: Creating QM without "qmgrs" directory Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hello,

Looks like no matter where do I specify the "data" directory of QM to be, there is still some information that is kept in <prefix>/qmgrs directory.

Is there any way to prevent it? Also, if it's a multi instance QM, how critical are these directories, since by default, they are created in /var/mqm which is a local directory to every server.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Why?

Let's back up a bit ...

Two installation paths: one for IBM MQ programs, and the other for IBM MQ data.

The data path specifies where queues and such are to be located in the file system. The qmgrs sub-directory will itself contain a sub-directory for each qmgr you create.

/var/mqm is the default location, but you may specify another location for the data path. Another “installation” of MQ might might be installed at /var/mqm/installation2/ …

I’m pretty sure I don’t understand the purpose of your OP.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:49 pm Post subject: Re: Creating QM without "qmgrs" directory Reply with quote

Jedi

LavMQ1980 wrote:
Hello,
Looks like no matter where do I specify the "data" directory of QM to be, there is still some information that is kept in <prefix>/qmgrs directory.

Yes, a qmgr keeps some IPC work data related files in there, even when the qmgr's MQ Data directory is specified to be elsewhere. These are only used by the qmgr when it is running locally. As an exercise, you can shut down a qmgr and delete these files, and they are recreated when the qmgr starts.
LavMQ1980
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Yep, I saw that they can be deleted, so it doesn't really matter where they are.

It's just the request is that QMs willbe let's say in /nfs/share/mqm/<QM>, but "qmgrs" is created anyway, either in /var/mqm or elsewhere if I specify the prefix to non-default location.
Andyh
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:38 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

It might appear that deleting these files is harmless, however deleting thee file can lead to shared memory and semaphores being leaked (until the next reboot). MQ keeps a record of what IPC resources (machine local) have been created in various files and on a QMgr restart uses those files to identify IPC resources associated with the previous running instance of the queue manager. Such files do not need to be on a shared drive (they relate to local resources) but they should only ever be cleaned up by MQ itself.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

LavMQ1980 wrote:
Yep, I saw that they can be deleted, so it doesn't really matter where they are.
It's just the request is that QMs willbe let's say in /nfs/share/mqm/<QM>, but "qmgrs" is created anyway, either in /var/mqm or elsewhere if I specify the prefix to non-default location.

If it concerns you that /var/mqm/qmgrs is in an inappropriate file system, you can always move it else where and create a symbolic link from /var/mqm.

Our standard set up is to create separate dedicated file systems for /var/mqm and /var/mqm/errors, and each qmgr also has its own MQ Data and MQ Logs dedicated files systems. This reduces the risk of MQ error logging and queueing interfering with the operation of other qmgrs or the OS.

MQSeries.net Forum IndexGeneral IBM MQ SupportCreating QM without "qmgrs" directory
Jump to: