ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » Migrating queue managers on zOS - coexistence

Migrating queue managers on zOS - coexistence « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
GheorgheDragos
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:52 am    Post subject: Migrating queue managers on zOS - coexistence Reply with quote

Acolyte

Dear community,
A while back I was a constant visitor to this forum, due to the nature of my employment, which had slightly changed : ibm MQ systems programmer->mainframe security and now again ibm MQ.
Now while I am well accustomed to the product itself, 9.1 certified, time erodes skills which are not used. My new responsibilities include migrating queue managers for a large variety of clients. The process itself is well documented and relatively easy to follow on the ibm website.
I do have some approach questions …. For example, is it worth to :
Rename old load libraries to *.old, rename updated copies to original name, compile early code and start the queue manager(hence not having to worry about apf authorized libraries or link listing anything since they will be the same, or having to MAKEDEF, or updating new JCL with the bsds or log stream name) and in case of a fallback, simply stop the queue manager, rename *.old files back to original and start the queue manager(what’s out the early code),
Or would it be advisable to modify the startup jcl to point to the new load libraries, apf them, link list them, new csqzparm and all of them, makedef and copy the definitions from the old to the new.
For my first assignment I have to take a set of queue managers from 7.1 to 9.3 so I thought to take 7.1 to 8.0, 8.0 to 9.1 and then 9.1 to 9.3.
Another question about be, maybe I haven’t looked thorough enough, where to find I find the mandatory changes I must do to MQ while moving to a new version of code.
None of them are clustered.
I do realize that these questions might appear, and for whatever is worth are, puerile, however it’s been a while.

Thank you in advance for your time and patience.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Firstly, please don't post one enormous paragraph. My attention span is rather short.

Most of my clients have multiple VRMFs (Version, Release ,Modification Level, Fixpac Level) of a product currently executing as they transition to the next higher VRMF level.

Let's start with a workable data set naming convention. I'd suggest that each new VRMF of MQ (or CICS or IMS or ...) have the VRMF imbedded in the data set names, then make a copy the relevant startup JCL/PROC to reflect the new VRMF data sets for the product. Startup proc should name should include VRMF, too. For data set names: MQ9104.loadlib, or SYS2.MQ9104.loadlib - that kind of thing. My habit (for good or evil) is to leave the prior VRMFs untouched (not renamed .OLD) for fallback purposes. Once elderly and retired, VRMFs can be archived or (gasp) deleted.

Last edited by bruce2359 on Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:09 am; edited 2 times in total
GheorgheDragos
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Dear Mr. Bruce,

Totally understood, so that means I would have to apf and link list at every other migration unless I can do those steps against a mask name (not really sure if it can be done).
Then I can include in the startup procedure all the page sets and log files etc.
so basically it will be like a new installation not an actual migration.
More research is needed.

Respectfully
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

GheorgheDragos wrote:
Dear Mr. Bruce,

Totally understood, so that means I would have to apf and link list at every other migration unless I can do those steps against a mask name (not really sure if it can be done).
Then I can include in the startup procedure all the page sets and log files etc.
so basically it will be like a new installation not an actual migration.
More research is needed.

Respectfully

All true. Everything in z/OS is more complicated than equivalents on midrange (Windows/UNIX).

As to research, read this: https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/ibm-mq/9.0?topic=mq-migration-paths and https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/ibm-mq/9.0?topic=mmzot-migrating-single-mq-zos-queue-manager-next-version-product

The install process (task list) is well-documented. The maintenance process is also well-documented. It would be naïve (a career-limiting move) to presume that the process is unchanged for v7, v8, v9, and so on.

APF auth, linklist are simple and well-documented. Early-code upgrade is well-documented, too.

I've done many, many of these for MQ, CICS, and other z/OS products; and I follow the documented Task list items for each.

This is not a place to cut corners.
GheorgheDragos
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Dear sir,

Your input is highly important to me. I am of firm belief that this particular job you learn from peers, their experience and skills, and not on the benches of the university.
I will start to do the necessary learning, and as the links you’ve sent me, they are golden.
There is one confusion I hope to clarify by myself, and I’m ashamed as I’ve done this many times over seven and a half years, meaning in the process to prepare the queue manager for migration, there is a step to compile the early code before I prepare the new sets of load libraries.
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/ibm-mq/9.0?topic=tasks-preparing-migrate-single-mq-zos-queue-manager#q115400___zqm1
Or is this step required only if migration PTFs are required prior to moving from 7.1 to 8.0 for example.

Respectfully,

Dragos
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Early code provides sub-system support for all qmgr versions/releases in the z/OS instance, and must be updated to the highest level of supported MQ. Do the Tasks in task order.
GheorgheDragos
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Dear colleagues,

I’ve read the documentation and things have become cleared, and coming back to me. I am in the process of building a few JCL libraries : one for the 7.1->8.0 upgrade, one for the rollback, one to test rollback and I still have to create 2 more, 8.0->9.2 and 9.2->9.3.
I have a little question, about migration and toleration PTFs. The documentation says these have to be applied before the actual migration take places ( loading from the new libraries etc ). However, and this is where I have issues… in my packages I only have the full versions , meaning v8.0 with the latest PTFs etc., including the migration and toleration ones. What could possible happen if I just load MQ 8 without applying those 1st?
And if it is an absolute must, I should just request a package that contains those PTFs, stop QMGR copy and replace and restart ?
I understand that this might be a trivial question and I am thankful for your patience and advice.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Moved to Mainframe forum.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Are you an experienced z/OS systems programmer? Are you familiar with using IBM's SMP/E tool to intall/upgrade software?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » Migrating queue managers on zOS - coexistence
Jump to: