ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Streaming messages going to one queue to another one - query

Streaming messages going to one queue to another one - query « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
lchiu7
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Streaming messages going to one queue to another one - query Reply with quote

Novice

We have a situation where we receive inbound messages via MQ and forward them to another external queue for processing. But we want to stream that set of messages to an internal queue for other purposes. We would prefer not to update the applicaiton that is receiving the messages and writing them to MQ.

Looking around I see where is a feature called MQ Streaming Queues which seems like it could do the job

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/ibm-mq/9.2?topic=scenarios-streaming-queues

Reading it briefly it seems that the service runs on the target queue on the external queue manager where the messagea are doing. That might not suit us as the messages are now gone from us. Has anybody used this facility and if so, is that the correct assumption on how it's implemented? Thanks
abhi_thri
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Streaming messages going to one queue to another one - q Reply with quote

Knight

lchiu7 wrote:

Reading it briefly it seems that the service runs on the target queue on the external queue manager where the messagea are doing.

hi...couldn't find any explicit restriction mentioning that this cannot be done on the same QMgr, have you tried it and see...

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/ibm-mq/9.2?topic=configuring-streaming-queues
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Message duplication can be done with MQ PUB/Sub topics https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/mq-you-want-put-message-queue-and-you-want-generate-duplicate-messages-other-queues
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Streaming messages going to one queue to another one - q Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

lchiu7 wrote:
We have a situation where we receive inbound messages via MQ and forward them to another external queue for processing. But we want to stream that set of messages to an internal queue for other purposes. We would prefer not to update the applicaiton that is receiving the messages and writing them to MQ.

You should have a look at Capitalware's MQ Message Replication (MQMR). Its whole purpose is to do exactly that. MQMR is not a separate application but rather an MQ API Exit. It sees everything and MQMR can clone (copy) messages from any queue and put an exact copy of the message (header & payload) to up to 100 target queues. A target queue can be of any type of queue: local, remote, alias, cluster.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Streaming Queues can do this for you the easiest. You would need to upgrade your queue manager to an MQ version that supports it.

You said "we receive inbound messages via MQ". It is on that queue manager on the receiving queue where you would configure the stream attribute to produce copies "to an internal queue for other purposes."
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

For streaming queues, you need IBM MQ v9.3 and the setup is 1 to 1 (not 1 to many). And you can NOT stream a streaming queue.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
lchiu7
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

PeterPotkay wrote:
Streaming Queues can do this for you the easiest. You would need to upgrade your queue manager to an MQ version that supports it.

You said "we receive inbound messages via MQ". It is on that queue manager on the receiving queue where you would configure the stream attribute to produce copies "to an internal queue for other purposes."

I asked around and obtained more information. Messages arrive via MQ externally and after a small amount of processing are placed on a queue on an internal QM. That QM apparently has some settings (I am hedging terminology here since I am not a MQ person but said I would ask the question) to then send the messages to another queue on an external. From reading the replies it seems I could stream the messages to another queue from the local queue.

Last edited by lchiu7 on Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
lchiu7
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

RogerLacroix wrote:
For streaming queues, you need IBM MQ v9.3 and the setup is 1 to 1 (not 1 to many). And you can NOT stream a streaming queue.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

I think we at the right level and it's 1:1 we want. Thanks
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

lchiu7 wrote:

I apparently misunderstood your requirement as a 1:2 - inbound messages replicated to two output queues.
lchiu7
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

bruce2359 wrote:
lchiu7 wrote:

I apparently misunderstood your requirement as a 1:2 - inbound messages replicated to two output queues.

I am confused now. I want to be able to write to one queue and have the QM then replicate the messages to another one. Isn't that what streaming queues allows you to do? Otherwise what does streaming queues do for you?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

lchiu7 wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:
lchiu7 wrote:

I am confused now. I want to be able to write to one queue and have the QM then replicate the messages to another one. Isn't that what streaming queues allows you to do? Otherwise what does streaming queues do for you?

There are several solutions to the replication/duplication of messages.

You used the term 'stream' in your OP. If you searched google using 'MQ stream,' likely you landed on new-to-MQ 9.2's new stream capabilities. If you merely wanted to replicate messages to a 2nd queue as they are put, then use search terms 'replicate' or 'duplicate'.

Read here: https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/ibm-mq/9.2?topic=scenarios-streaming-queues

The pub/sub solution I offered earlier is well-established solution to your requirement. Well-established here means 'not new'.
lchiu7
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

bruce2359 wrote:
lchiu7 wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:
lchiu7 wrote:

There are several solutions to the replication/duplication of messages.

You used the term 'stream' in your OP. If you searched google using 'MQ stream,' likely you landed on new-to-MQ 9.2's new stream capabilities. If you merely wanted to replicate messages to a 2nd queue as they are put, then use search terms 'replicate' or 'duplicate'.

Read here: https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/ibm-mq/9.2?topic=scenarios-streaming-queues

The pub/sub solution I offered earlier is well-established solution to your requirement. Well-established here means 'not new'.

This betrays my lack of knowledge in the area of MQ. The users want messages to go to another queue for backup purposes. The developers don't want to change their code (this is Cobol mainframe code). So I did some Googling and came across the streaming option which appears can be done in MQ without code changes. But the MQ admin team said (without much detail) it also could be done with publish/subscriibe which you mentioned. Found some pages on that but it's not clear to me if that can be done without code changes. Anyway if we have the right level of MQ streaming seems to be the way to go.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Neither solution suggested here requires application source code changes - only MQ object definitions. Try both in test.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

lchiu7 wrote:
This betrays my lack of knowledge in the area of MQ. The users want messages to go to another queue for backup purposes. The developers don't want to change their code (this is Cobol mainframe code). So I did some Googling and came across the streaming option which appears can be done in MQ without code changes. But the MQ admin team said (without much detail) it also could be done with publish/subscriibe which you mentioned. Found some pages on that but it's not clear to me if that can be done without code changes. Anyway if we have the right level of MQ streaming seems to be the way to go.

The pub/sub technique does not require code changes, but the queue name where the producer app puts messages will need to be deleted and replaced with a QALIAS that has targtype(topic).

If the existing consumer app gets messages from the same queue name and same qmgr as the producer, you'll need to set up a new local queue name for the consumer (it will be the destination of an administrative SUB object). If its on another qmgr, the existing name can be kept.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

lchiu7 wrote:
This betrays my lack of knowledge in the area of MQ.

I recommend that you enroll in a basic MQ System Administration course. Search google for 'ibm mq basic system administration training'

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Streaming messages going to one queue to another one - query
Jump to: