ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Microsoft HA failover cluster for MQ virtualized

Microsoft HA failover cluster for MQ virtualized « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
dakoroni
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:34 am    Post subject: Microsoft HA failover cluster for MQ virtualized Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hello MQ Cluster forum users,

Is it supported to have cluster MQ nodes virtualized (VMs) in a Microsoft (MSCS) HA failover cluster?
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Microsoft HA failover cluster for MQ virtualized Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

dakoroni wrote:
Is it supported to have cluster MQ nodes virtualized (VMs) in a Microsoft (MSCS) HA failover cluster?

What's an "MQ node"? MQ only has queue managers. Sometimes they participate in an MQ cluster. Sometimes they don't.

So the question becomes "is an MQ queue manager supported in an MSCS cluster" and the answer is yes.

fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Microsoft HA failover cluster for MQ virtualized Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

dakoroni wrote:
Hello MQ Cluster forum users,

This is a Microsoft OS question. Have you tried it? what was the result?
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

I refer also to your own post here where one of the links you include is to the MQ Knowledge Center page describing MQ's support for MSCS.

Which is strong evidence it's supported.

The same page also explicitly answers your question in a section helpfully titled "Relationship of HA clusters to queue manager clusters". If MQ clusters are not supported under MSCS, IBM would not have described the relationship between them.
dakoroni
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Microsoft HA failover cluster for MQ virtualized Reply with quote

Acolyte

I know that MQ supports MSCS.
I am just asking especially about Virtualized implementation of MSCS (Queue Managers in VMs) since, the IBM's MQ position for Virtualization article, posted at:
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/ibm-mqs-support-position-virtualization-low-level-hardware-file-systems-networks-and-high-availability
mentions:
"Unless stated otherwise, IBM MQ has not been specifically tested in Virtualization environments. IBM MQ Support is therefore unable to assist in issues related to configuration and setup, or issues that are directly related to the Virtualization environment itself.."
Has anybody tried this?

P.S.
Cluster is a collection of nodes. Node is representation of MQ server in a graph.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Microsoft HA failover cluster for MQ virtualized Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

dakoroni wrote:
0I am just asking especially about Virtualized implementation of MSCS (Queue Managers in VMs) since, the IBM's MQ position for Virtualization article, posted at:
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/ibm-mqs-support-position-virtualization-low-level-hardware-file-systems-networks-and-high-availability
mentions:
"Unless stated otherwise, IBM MQ has not been specifically tested in Virtualization environments. IBM MQ Support is therefore unable to assist in issues related to configuration and setup, or issues that are directly related to the Virtualization environment itself.."

So which virtualized implementation are you using? You talk about VMs, which is often short hand for the VMWare software, which is one of the specifically tested configurations.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Are you expecting IBM to issue a blanket statement of support for all present and future virtual implementations? Especially the OEM, non-IBM implementations?
dakoroni
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Microsoft HA failover cluster for MQ virtualized Reply with quote

Acolyte

[/quote]
So which virtualized implementation are you using? You talk about VMs, which is often short hand for the VMWare software, which is one of the specifically tested configurations.[/quote]

VMWare 6.0.1 U3 - ESXi
dakoroni
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Microsoft HA failover cluster for MQ virtualized Reply with quote

Acolyte

bruce2359 wrote:
Are you expecting IBM to issue a blanket statement of support for all present and future virtual implementations? Especially the OEM, non-IBM implementations?

Of course not, but as you might know MSCS HA is one of the most commonly used cluster deployment scenarios, worldwide.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Microsoft HA failover cluster for MQ virtualized Reply with quote

Poobah

dakoroni wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:

Of course not, but as you might know MSCS HA is one of the most commonly used cluster deployment scenarios, worldwide.

Your OP seems to be more about IBMs support of MSCS and MQ in a 3rd party container. Which container? Docker? Chef? Some other?
dakoroni
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Microsoft HA failover cluster for MQ virtualized Reply with quote

Acolyte

There is no container in place.

Actually my main concern if cust. will be entitled for defect support, in case of MQ failure whether Queue Managers are deployed in Virtual Machines (VMs) either on Active/Passive or Active/Active MSCS cluster mode.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Microsoft HA failover cluster for MQ virtualized Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

dakoroni wrote:
Actually my main concern if cust. will be entitled for defect support, in case of MQ failure whether Queue Managers are deployed in Virtual Machines (VMs) either on Active/Passive or Active/Active MSCS cluster mode.

What your customer will get from IBM in any given circumstance is a question for your customer's account rep. Trying to raise a PMR "because a group of anonymous, unaccountable strangers on the Internet said this was supported" will be a challenge.

(Raising a PMR for supported configurations isn't exactly straightforward either but that's a different conversation)

Turning to your specific issues, VMWare is one of the virtualization technologies IBM tests with. Have they tested the combination of MQ & ESX versions you're using? I don't know and am too lazy to investigate. It's a character failing I've learned to live with.

I do know that VMWare is supported with MQ 8 & 9 because we use it, but we use it with RHEL not Windows so that's of very little help to you.

It's not a good day here.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Microsoft HA failover cluster for MQ virtualized Reply with quote

Jedi

dakoroni wrote:
There is no container in place.

MQSC HA clusters can work with physical Windows Servers or Windows VMs. We choose physical for MSCS clusters because it is more reliable than VMs, and reliability is a very importance aspect of HA. MQ works OK in either physical or VM.

Your question should really be directed at your IBM account representative, or a in an IBM Service Request. Don't trust us on such important matters.
dakoroni
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Microsoft HA failover cluster for MQ virtualized Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thanks for the tips.
I will contact local IBM account rep and perhaps I create a service request.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Microsoft HA failover cluster for MQ virtualized
Jump to: