ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Database Name in Mapping Node

Database Name in Mapping Node « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
diamondiona
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Database Name in Mapping Node Reply with quote

Acolyte

Our database names are different in every environment, such as:
dev : cscdev
sit: cscsit
prod: cscpro

The reason is because we are hosting multiple environments database on a single database server.

To my understanding, the database name in mapping node is hard coded, all environments must use same name.

Any workaround?
diamondiona
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Just wonder is my question clear?
abhi_thri
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Database Name in Mapping Node Reply with quote

Knight

diamondiona wrote:

The reason is because we are hosting multiple environments database on a single database server.

hi...the above sounds like a very bad idea, do you really want to risk a Prod database outage from non-controlled environment (Dev/Test) issues? Is this architecture really signed off by the DBAs and Architects? I think you should challenge this approach to at least separate the Prod database from the non-Prod ones.

Coming back to your query on Mapping nodes, you can override the database details via JDBC config service (which can point to different database per region),

http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=66915

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSMKHH_10.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/cm28825_.htm
diamondiona
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Appreciate for your reply!

Yes, our production server and development are different

Last edited by diamondiona on Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
diamondiona
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

I feel little bit confused about datasource name.

For example, I create a database connection from Toolkit, "TESTDB" and SID is "CSCDEV". Is "TESTDB" the datasource name?

is datasource name also same as JDBC Provider name?
abhi_thri
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

hi...it should be "TESTDB" assuming that is what is configured in the database definition file used to create the map, please see the below note from the documentation.

Quote:
If you want to use your JDBCProvider service with a Mapping node, the name of your JDBCProvider service must match the database name that is used by the database transforms in your Graphical Data Map. For each database transform, the database name is determined by the database definition (.dbm file) in the Data Design project that was used to create the map.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSMKHH_10.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/ah61310_.html
diamondiona
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Appreciate for your help!

I just feel this is weird. For example, I connect to my dev database, CSCDEV from my toolkit.

Then in every other environments, I need to create a JDBC Provider name as CSCDEV and point to the real database, like CSCSIT, CSCQA, CSCPROD.

By the way, from jdbc prvoider creation we page, there are "databaseName" and "connectionUrlFormatAttr1", are they always same?

Is it correct that Compute nodes use odbc, Mapping and Java Nodes use JDBC?
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

diamondiona wrote:
I just feel this is weird. For example, I connect to my dev database, CSCDEV from my toolkit.

Then in every other environments, I need to create a JDBC Provider name as CSCDEV and point to the real database, like CSCSIT, CSCQA, CSCPROD.

You could just as easily call the database "FRED" in your toolkit and achieve the same result. Or "ACCOUNTDB", "CUSTDB" or such like.

diamondiona wrote:
By the way, from jdbc prvoider creation we page, there are "databaseName" and "connectionUrlFormatAttr1", are they always same?

Not if the first connection attribute happens not to be the database name.

diamondiona wrote:
Is it correct that Compute nodes use odbc, Mapping and Java Nodes use JDBC?

Yes. Compute nodes are part of the original C++ runtime, going waaaaayyyyyyyy back.....

Mapping and Java nodes are more recent additions.

But the same technique applies as you move from one database to another. The code refers to a database name (possibly an abstract one like FRED) and the configuration relates that to the actual database name. The difference is that Compute nodes use odbc.ini for this, the other nodes you name use configurable services.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Database Name in Mapping Node
Jump to: