ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » REST API's created on IIB vs created on API Management

REST API's created on IIB vs created on API Management « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
SreeBindu
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: REST API's created on IIB vs created on API Management Reply with quote

Novice

What differences exist when we create rest API's in IIB and in API Management wrt functionality, performance, drawbacks

Query
1) Is it preferrable to create rest API on IIB and publish it on APIM
or
2)Is it preferrable to create API on APIM and then invoke IIB as a rest service

Which would be preferred way/best solution?

I am using IIB v 10.0.04
[/b]
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: REST API's created on IIB vs created on API Management Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

SreeBindu wrote:

I doubt there's a single answer to that question which fits all circumstances.

SreeBindu wrote:
wrt functionality, performance, drawbacks

IIB & APIM have (obviously and deliberately) different functionality. Performance is both a state of mind, a function of code efficiency and how & where you scale. Both products have drawbacks in certain situations.

In addition to those 3 factors, you also need to consider:

- how many non-IIB APIs you're publishing
- control mechanisms
- developer skills sets
- security requirements
- audit controls
- etc
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: REST API's created on IIB vs created on API Management Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

SreeBindu wrote:

Query
or

FWIW we do it both ways for different scenarios.
Gaya3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: REST API's created on IIB vs created on API Management Reply with quote

Jedi

SreeBindu wrote:
What differences exist when we create rest API's in IIB and in API Management wrt functionality, performance, drawbacks

Query
or

I am using IIB v 10.0.04
[/b]

- upgrade your iib version to 10.0.0.7 (there are some bugs in 10.0.0.4 version where it will not find the organization)

First point -
create rest API on IIB and publish to APIM - this is bit coupled and any changes on iib rest service you have to publish it back

Second point -
now you are not concerned about back end, if you are having different service on the back you just need to change the URL on API and keep it updated.

the question goes which one is really good, we are doing mix and match here, some time I feel the first is better where we will have a control of the APIs and what it invokes, still am not sure....
Do Something Before you Die
ruimadaleno
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

My experience with APIM is only theoretical so, my two cents:

I see a place to APIM, this is a place were you need to expose your enterprise to the cold, cruel , crazy and insecure "outside" world. APIM can provide some good stuff to deal with authentication, document and catalog your api, control the usage of the api (this is valuable - in some businesses you want you customer to pay for api usage), manage API worload based on consumer profile (premium customer can consume API 100 times a day while "regular"/free consumer can consume only 10 times) and expose already developed services (rest services or soap/xml services).

The other place is the cold, cruel, crazy and supposed_secure world of the enterprise boundary (whatever that is ). So, here you have more control (theoretical) and you can implement security, workload management in every single web service (rest/soap) you deploy, in the limit, no need for APIM in this "world". But ... do you have a lot o services ? are the registered in some kind of repository that allows discovery (maybe wsrr) ? do you have several workload policies in place (you can do it in broker) ? Are you implementing some kind of security mechanism (maybe a security provider that talks LDAP) ? The point here is ... are you implementing all this stuff already available and ready to use in APIM ? if you have APIM in house why not use it in both worlds ?

let the discussion begin

Rui Madaleno
Gaya3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

ruimadaleno wrote:
My experience with APIM is only theoretical so, my two cents:

I see a place to APIM, this is a place were you need to expose your enterprise to the cold, cruel , crazy and insecure "outside" world. APIM can provide some good stuff to deal with authentication, document and catalog your api, control the usage of the api (this is valuable - in some businesses you want you customer to pay for api usage), manage API worload based on consumer profile (premium customer can consume API 100 times a day while "regular"/free consumer can consume only 10 times) and expose already developed services (rest services or soap/xml services).

The other place is the cold, cruel, crazy and supposed_secure world of the enterprise boundary (whatever that is ). So, here you have more control (theoretical) and you can implement security, workload management in every single web service (rest/soap) you deploy, in the limit, no need for APIM in this "world". But ... do you have a lot o services ? are the registered in some kind of repository that allows discovery (maybe wsrr) ? do you have several workload policies in place (you can do it in broker) ? Are you implementing some kind of security mechanism (maybe a security provider that talks LDAP) ? The point here is ... are you implementing all this stuff already available and ready to use in APIM ? if you have APIM in house why not use it in both worlds ?

let the discussion begin

Good, I support,

About Security
DataPower is the one gateway - where it can proxy it use the required authentication

if this can be integrated with iSAM or 2FA it will be more authenticated/audited and authorized
Do Something Before you Die

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » REST API's created on IIB vs created on API Management
Jump to: