ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Telemetry / Low Latency Messaging / Everyplace » MQTT channel and Q manager load

MQTT channel and Q manager load « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
pintrader
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: MQTT channel and Q manager load Reply with quote

Disciple

hi
say i would have 40000 mq clients connecting to mqtt for pub sub activities, what would be the recommended "max handles" that i need to configure at Q manager instead of 256 (default) , to support all 40k clients connecting at the same time? Is there any other MQ parameters besides "max handles" that i need to consider changing to cater for such amount of client traffic?
thanks
PaulClarke
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The value of MAXHANDS is the maximum number of handles that can be open by any one connection. It prevents a single application going rogue and opening hundreds or thousands of queues and therefore potentially impacting other applications.

So, I guess the question really is what level of sharing of connections does the MQTT client code make? For a normal MQ client there is no sharing. ie. there is a one to one mapping between the number of connections made at the clients to the number of connections made at the server. However, I'm afraid I don't know the MQTT code at all to know what the situation is.

It may be possible to do a little experimentation. If you make a 1,000 MQTT client connections how many real connections do you have?. ie. what is the output of DIS CONN(*). Of course if there is sharing then the sharing amount may possibly take in to account the value of MAXHANDS but this is pure speculation at this point.

Cheers,
P.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I think you should strongly consider the scaling implications of connecting 40,000 applications to a single queue manager, regardless of the fact that they're running MQTT to talk to each other, rather than MQ. You'll need to consider tuning the queue manager AND you'll need to consider tuning the MQXR daemon process to handle the volume.

If you're really really looking to host 40,000 MQTT clients talking to a single queue manager and each other, you're better off looking at a MessageSight appliance.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Telemetry / Low Latency Messaging / Everyplace » MQTT channel and Q manager load
Jump to: