ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » How IBM applications on zlinux and z/os communicate?

How IBM applications on zlinux and z/os communicate? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
gaurav6400
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: How IBM applications on zlinux and z/os communicate? Reply with quote

App A1 is FTM/Message broker is an app on z/OS.
App B is WTX running on z/Linux, on the same physical mainframe box as the z/OS LPARs where App A1 executes.

My current solution has FTM and WTX both running on z/OS. To save MIPS we want to run WTX on z/Linux and FTM?message broker will continue to run on z/OS. I understand Hipersockets is best to make z/OS and z/linux talk but is 'MQ over Hipersockets' or 'HTTP over Hipersockets' or 'APPC over Hipersockets' or simply 'Hipersockets' to be considered?

Do you have the architecture diagram now ?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Start here http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246816.html .

HiperSockets allows for cross-memory (as opposed to cross-network) network communications within a single LPAR, or across LPARs.

Examples of configuring z/OS and z/Linux are included. Diagrams, too.

Network flows across HiperSockets are dramatically faster than NIC cards and CAT cable speeds.

HiperSockets is transparent to applications, like MQ.
gaurav6400
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I have a better understanding now. Hipersockets role is just to facilitate faster memory-2-memory network communication between LPARs (on same physical server of course).

I think what I'm looking for is for an answer to question- if an IBM application (message broker) on z/OS needs to interact with an IBM application (WTX) on z/linux 'synchronously' then which protocol is best suited? - MQ or HTTP or something else. As of now both IBM applications are running on z/OS interacting each other over internal queues. So I'm just thinking whether MQ or HTTP or some other protocol will be a best replacement when WTX moves to z/Linux from z/OS. When WTX moves onto z/linux what all s/w need to be installed to support the protocol?

Please share your thoughts..... Have you come across such case study.

gaurav6400@gmail.com
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: How IBM applications on zlinux and z/os communicate? Reply with quote

Poobah

gaurav6400 wrote:
To save MIPS we want to run WTX on z/Linux and message broker will continue to run on z/OS. ...

I'd expect to see similar cpu (MIPS is the Meaningless Indicator of Processor Speed) utilization given that these applications are still executing on z/Architecture. License costs may be less for deploying on z/Linux vs. z/OS. Is the real goal to reduce license costs?

HTTP is an application-level document-oriented protocol, and not a transport. Yes, I know that the word 'protocol' is in its name. Synchronous and asynchronous are application behaviors. HTTP API calls allow for both synch and async behavior. WMQ applications can also be written to behave either sync or asynchronously.

Can you please be a bit more precise as to what you are really trying to accomplish?
gaurav6400
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: To save MIPS we want to run WTX on z/Linux and message broke Reply with quote

Yes the purpose is to run WTX on z/Linux instead of z/OS to save MIPS and licence costs. Why do you say there won't be savings on MIPS. WTX will still be running on Linux OS.

The thing that I'm actually looking for is what is advisable to use MQ or HTTP between WTX and WMB (message broker). Currently both are communication over internal broker queues, what should be ideally used when WTX is now moved to z/Linux.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: To save MIPS we want to run WTX on z/Linux and message b Reply with quote

Poobah

gaurav6400 wrote:
Yes the purpose is to run WTX on z/Linux instead of z/OS to save MIPS and licence costs. Why do you say there won't be savings on MIPS. WTX will still be running on Linux OS.

Any o/s that executes on z/Architecture uses the same z/Architecture 'hardware' (instruction set, processors, registers, address-space, PSW, etc.) as described in the z/Architecture Principles of Operation manual.

Applications (including o/s's) that execute on z/Architecture must be ported to that platform in the usual way - compiling and binding to that platform.

UNIX is not hardware-platform specific. UNIX system calls (like I/O, access to memory, and dispatching work into processors) inevitably request low-level (hardware-specific) facilities that are hardware-platform specific.

So, for example, WAS can execute in z/OS USS (Unix System Services), Linux under z/VM, or z/Linux.

I'd expect the instruction path length for any application to be similar in all three configurations.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: To save MIPS we want to run WTX on z/Linux and message b Reply with quote

Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
So, for example, WAS can execute in z/OS USS (Unix System Services), Linux under z/VM, or z/Linux.

I'd expect the instruction path length for any application to be similar in all three configurations.

Although the funny money bill back shenanigans your finance department comes up with may be wildly different between the 3, making it "cheaper" to execute in one versus the other.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

On the other hand you are talking about WMB and WTX.
You cannot, to my knowledge, execute a WTX map in WMB if the WTX engine is not on the same hardware/OS as WMB...

So in your case I would contemplate moving both WMB and WTX to zLinux...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » How IBM applications on zlinux and z/os communicate?
Jump to: