ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Multiple MQ Consumers accessing same queue on IBM MQ Series

Multiple MQ Consumers accessing same queue on IBM MQ Series « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
androidgalaxyman
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Multiple MQ Consumers accessing same queue on IBM MQ Series Reply with quote

Novice

Dear All

i am having the problem regarding of duplicating.Assume multiple consumers accessing same Websphere MQ Queue "testQ". There is a Problem i could see , one consumer take the message which is already been taken another consumer . The Consumer are running different machines, only they are accessing the same queue name. Please help me!

SERVER 1: [consumer 1]

2014-01-28 12:09:52,399 [MY_Thread-25] DEBUG XXX - Set Connection as Unused.
2014-01-28 12:09:52,399 [MY_Thread-25] DEBUG XXX - Waiting for Request...
2014-01-28 12:09:52,402 [MY_Thread-25] DEBUG XXX - Ensure Listener being locked.
2014-01-28 12:09:52,402 [MY_Thread-25] DEBUG XXX - Processing request...
2014-01-28 12:09:52,402 [MY_Thread-25] DEBUG XXX - Parsing OFSML Request ...
2014-01-28 12:09:52,404 [MY_Thread-25] DEBUG XXX - Parsing Done. SEC.TRADE,UBSVX/I/PROCESS,/********,P014012801167801,

SERVER 2: [Consumer 2]

2014-01-28 12:09:52,402 [MY_Thread-25] DEBUG XXX - Notifying caller.
2014-01-28 12:09:52,402 [MY_Thread-25] DEBUG XXX - Notification done.
2014-01-28 12:09:52,402 [MY_Thread-25] DEBUG XXX - Set Connection as Unused.
2014-01-28 12:09:52,402 [MY_Thread-25] DEBUG XXX - Waiting for Request...
2014-01-28 12:09:52,404 [MY_Thread-25] DEBUG XXX - Ensure Listener being locked.
2014-01-28 12:09:52,404 [MY_Thread-25] DEBUG XXX - Processing request...
2014-01-28 12:09:52,404 [MY_Thread-25] DEBUG XXX - Parsing OFSML Request ...
2014-01-28 12:09:52,406 [MY_Thread-25] DEBUG XXX - Parsing Done. SEC.TRADE,UBSVX/I/PROCESS,/********,P014012801167801,
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Pub/Sub
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

MQ will not allow more than one application to consume the same message. Once and once only delivery is a primary design feature.

Unless you choose to use browse mode - which is generally intended for ulitities and not for applications.

It is perfectly safe to allow (and it's very good for resilience and load balancing) multiple consumers to access the same queue at the same time.

Browsing is a different and more complex area and has options like lock message under cursor - but there is rarely a need to use browse.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

I'll have to agree with Exerk

You seem to have the same message (content) present on 2 instances of the destination (whether clustered or not).
I would suspect that you have a pub/sub model and both consumers are subscribed to the same feed.

If you wanted a "load/balanced" subscription, you would need to do it in a cluster and provide a cluster alias as the subscribing qmgr name...
Have fun
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

It's possible that one consumer has attempted to process the message, failed, and rolled it back.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

It's not clear if the problem is seeing duplicates but not wanting them, or wanting duplicates but not getting them. Bringing Pub/Sub and clustering into the conversation can either be right or wrong, but first we need clarification on what the actual problem androidgalaxyman has.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Sorry I am getting confused here...
Are we talking about accessing the same queue on different servers i.e. a different instance of the same queue, or multiple consumers accessing the same instance of the queue on the same server (in which case I wouldn't know if it is a rollback scenario or multiple subscriber scenario)...
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Speculation on my part, but breaking it down:

i am having the problem regarding of duplicating. Assume multiple consumers accessing same Websphere MQ Queue "testQ". - implies multiple instances of an application.

There is a Problem i could see , one consumer take the message which is already been taken another consumer . - could be that the 'consuming' application does a browse of a message, otherwise there's no way (other than a roll-back) it can happen.

But, as Peter so succinctly points out, we need the OP to clarify.
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Not wanting to over-complicate my answer, I ignored syncpointing.

If you get a message under syncpoint (transactionally) and you don't commit it - when either the app or when MQ backs out the transaction - then it will re-appear on the queue.

In this case the same message can be consumed more than once - but is easily detected by the application inspecting the MQMD.back value. This is incremented for each backout of the message.

So if the MQMD.back > 0 then this message has been previously given to an application but has been backed out to the queue. The action your app takes in this situation is up to you. If it is safe to re-process the message then do so, otherwise you could move it to another queue for manual intervention.

Use of two-phase commit can ensure consistency between a message transaction and a database transaction for example, ensuring that both are committed or rolled back together.

All this sort of stuff is done much better in MQ compared to the situation with web-services or (heaven forbid) file record processing.
androidgalaxyman
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

zpat wrote:
MQ will not allow more than one application to consume the same message. Once and once only delivery is a primary design feature.

Unless you choose to use browse mode - which is generally intended for ulitities and not for applications.

It is perfectly safe to allow (and it's very good for resilience and load balancing) multiple consumers to access the same queue at the same time.

Browsing is a different and more complex area and has options like lock message under cursor - but there is rarely a need to use browse.
Thanks Mr. Zpat, i agree with your view. But my traces you could see , it seems there may be some chance. i need to pull my hair!
androidgalaxyman
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

fjb_saper wrote:
I'll have to agree with Exerk

You seem to have the same message (content) present on 2 instances of the destination (whether clustered or not).
I would suspect that you have a pub/sub model and both consumers are subscribed to the same feed.

If you wanted a "load/balanced" subscription, you would need to do it in a cluster and provide a cluster alias as the subscribing qmgr name...
Have fun

Hi @fjb_saper, Assume my case would be my application running in two different machine . Its an Listener which listens the same queue in a single instance of MQ which is running in one of the two machines. This is no implementation on cluster concept. Please let me know, if you need anything.
androidgalaxyman
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

PeterPotkay wrote:
It's not clear if the problem is seeing duplicates but not wanting them, or wanting duplicates but not getting them. Bringing Pub/Sub and clustering into the conversation can either be right or wrong, but first we need clarification on what the actual problem androidgalaxyman has.

Dear @Peter , the actual problem is a different instance of Listening client application which is on different machine while accessing the same queue (which is actually running inside any of the machine) , the message consumed by both application. The MQ allowed to consume that message two times.
androidgalaxyman
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

exerk wrote:
Speculation on my part, but breaking it down:

i am having the problem regarding of duplicating. Assume multiple consumers accessing same Websphere MQ Queue "testQ". - implies multiple instances of an application.

There is a Problem i could see , one consumer take the message which is already been taken another consumer . - could be that the 'consuming' application does a browse of a message, otherwise there's no way (other than a roll-back) it can happen.

But, as Peter so succinctly points out, we need the OP to clarify.

Hi @exerk , your correct.two different instances of application which listens on a same queue , results this behavior.
androidgalaxyman
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

zpat wrote:
Not wanting to over-complicate my answer, I ignored syncpointing.

If you get a message under syncpoint (transactionally) and you don't commit it - when either the app or when MQ backs out the transaction - then it will re-appear on the queue.

In this case the same message can be consumed more than once - but is easily detected by the application inspecting the MQMD.back value. This is incremented for each backout of the message.

So if the MQMD.back > 0 then this message has been previously given to an application but has been backed out to the queue. The action your app takes in this situation is up to you. If it is safe to re-process the message then do so, otherwise you could move it to another queue for manual intervention.

Use of two-phase commit can ensure consistency between a message transaction and a database transaction for example, ensuring that both are committed or rolled back together.

All this sort of stuff is done much better in MQ compared to the situation with web-services or (heaven forbid) file record processing.

HI @zpat, thanks for your input. my code like this
Code:
   MQGetMessageOptions gmo = new MQGetMessageOptions();
      gmo.options = MQC.MQGMO_SYNCPOINT | MQC.MQGMO_WAIT;
      gmo.waitInterval = this._listener.getWaitInterval();
      /*
       * Let's twist !
       */
      while (!this._bStopping) { // && !bReadyToLeave){
         MQMessage retrievedMessage = new MQMessage();
         retrievedMessage.characterSet = MQC.MQCCSI_Q_MGR;
         /*
          * try{ _mqm.begin(); }catch(Exception e){ e.printStackTrace(); }
          */
         /*
          * Get the Message from the queue
          */
         boolean bDone = false;
         while (!this._bStopping && !bDone) {
            try {
               retrievedMessage.clearMessage();
            } catch (IOException e1) {
               this._listener.error("Error while clearing message.", e1);
            }
            long l = System.currentTimeMillis();
            try {
               this._listener.debug(new StringBuilder(" Retrieving message ...").append(_listener.getName()).toString());
               this._inputQueue.get(retrievedMessage, gmo);
               this._listener.debug(new StringBuilder(" Retrieving message ...").append(_listener.getName()).toString());
               bDone = true;
            } catch (MQException mqe) {

/*
                * This is due to the connection getting suddenly down !
                * This mean we have to raise it higher !
                */
               if ((System.currentTimeMillis() - l) < 50) {
                  this._listener
                        .error("Error while reading message. Reason : "
                              + mqe.reasonCode);
                  closeAll();
                  /*
                   * Retry every minutes.
                   */
                  Initialize(60000);
               }
               /* Normal Error when no message - timeout */
            }
Are u saying the when under SYNCPOINT and don't commit - when either the app or when MQ backs out the transaction - then it will re-appear on the queue. ? can you please enlight little much?
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

androidgalaxyman wrote:
...Are u saying the when under SYNCPOINT and don't commit - when either the app or when MQ backs out the transaction - then it will re-appear on the queue. ?

When you get a message under SYNCPOINT the message is not available for other consumers to GET and unless you COMMIT the GET, i.e. when you have finished processing the message content, the message will not be deleted from the queue. If your application backs out the message, either explicitly or implicitly (e.g. broken connection) only then will it be available to another consumer to GET.

The above assumes your application doesn't do anything silly such as process the message content, act on it, and commit the content but not the message, e.g. GET, PROCESS, UPDATE DB, ROLL-BACK MESSAGE, and nowhere in your code do I see a COMMIT, explicit or otherwise.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Multiple MQ Consumers accessing same queue on IBM MQ Series
Jump to: