ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » When page set is nearly full, identifying biggest queues

When page set is nearly full, identifying biggest queues « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
MQCONN
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: When page set is nearly full, identifying biggest queues Reply with quote

When you're administering MQ, and you've set up an alert to signal a page set is trending towards filling up, a good command to identify which set of queues are taking up the most space in the page set might be...

DISPLAY QUEUE(*) PSID(7) CURDEPTH

and sorting on current queue depth.

But suppose you want to know not just how deep the deepest queues are, but how much actual space in the page set these biggest queues are occupying. A queue with 10,000 short messages could be much smaller than a queue with 5,000 long messages.

Didn't see any obvious answer to this question in either Infocenter or Google.
gs
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

I guess the easiest solution would be to look at the file system e.g. <MQ installation folder>/Qmgrs/<qmgr name>/queues
elkinsc
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Oh dear Reply with quote

Centurion

to gs - Pagesets are z/OS only.

MQCONN, please look at he DISPLAY USAGE command.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Moved to Mainframe forum.
elkinsc
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Thank you Bruce! Reply with quote

Centurion

and a happy Festivus to all!
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

gs wrote:
I guess the easiest solution would be to look at the file system e.g. <MQ installation folder>/Qmgrs/<qmgr name>/queues

For UNIX/Windows, how exactly would you look at the filesystem? What command(s) would you use? Have you tried this? What were the results?
gs
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

bruce2359 wrote:

to gs - Pagesets are z/OS only.

My bad, missed the pageset info

bruce2359 wrote:
gs wrote:

For UNIX/Windows, how exactly would you look at the filesystem? What command(s) would you use? Have you tried this? What were the results?

There may be better solutions but wouldn't the file size of the queue file indicate the actual disk space the queue and its messages claims?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

gs wrote:
...but wouldn't the file size of the queue file indicate the actual disk space the queue and its messages claims?

gs
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

bruce2359 wrote:
gs wrote:
...but wouldn't the file size of the queue file indicate the actual disk space the queue and its messages claims?

Not sure if I'm missing your point here but to my understanding OP didn't necessarily want to do this programmatically or through MQ tools.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

You recommended that the OP look into the filesystem (to see which queues had messages, and how much disk space they were using). I'm suggesting that you try this exact procedure to verify that this procedure really works.
gs wrote:
... but wouldn't the file size of the queue file indicate the actual disk space the queue and its messages claims?

This comment indicates to me that you haven't tested this procedure.
gs
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

bruce2359 wrote:
You recommended that the OP look into the filesystem (to see which queues had messages). I'm suggesting that you try this exact procedure to verify that this procedure really works.

I did that prior to answering but not enough. Queue file increased equivalent to messages being written. However, turns out I was wrong as file size doesn't decrease right away when removing messages.
MQCONN
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your interest in my question.

Sorry if I didn't make this clear at the outset, but yes, this is a question about mainframe MQ.

Looked at the DISPLAY USAGE command more closely, but didn't see any option that details space usage by specific queues. Here's an example...

&MQXX DISPLAY USAGE PSID(7)

CSQI010I &MQXX Page set usage ...
Page Buffer Total Unused Persistent NonPersist Expansion
set pool pages pages data pages data pages count
3 3 278981 274782 2389 1810 USER 0
End of page set report

It's in fact the DISPLAY USAGE command we're using to generate the initial alert.

What I'm looking for is something like this hypothetical...

&MQXX DISPLAY USAGE PSID(7) QDETAILS

CSQI010I &MQXX Page set usage ...
Page Buffer Total Unused Persistent NonPersist Expansion
set pool pages pages data pages data pages count
3 3 278981 274782 2389 1810 USER 0

Queue Name Total pages
MQXX.LOCAL.QUEUE1 0
MQXX.LOCAL.QUEUE2 1
MQXX.LOCAL.QUEUE3 0
MQXX.LOCAL.QUEUE4 1
MQXX.LOCAL.QUEUE5 4000

End of page set report

Thanks again!
elkinsc
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

What you have asked for, pageset and bufferpool use by queue is not available. What you can do, with some effort, is capture the SMF116 class 3 records, which will give you real queue usage (depth, message size, etc.). You can then apply that queue use to the pageset.

That is an awful lot of work, and is not realtime. Is it 'good enough' to use display usage, and examine the pageset use with a knowledge of what queues are defined to use the pageset and bufferpool you are concerned about? You can then do a display of the current depths of the queues to see which is contributing to the constraints? There is also the option of using the RESET QSTATS comment to see the message count since the last time the command was issued. A word of warning, this command does just what it says - it resets the stats. If you are also using a commercially available monitoring tool (like Omegamon) it is issuing that command regularly, so counts you receive from the command will always be inaccurate. And the counts gathered by the monitoring tool will be impacted by other uses of the command.

What I would urge you to do is to open an RFE for improvements you feel need to be made, or vote for ones that already exist. For a number of years some folks have been asking for queue level statistics, which would allow tracking queue use without the expense of the SMF116 class 3 data collection. This can then be mapped back to real bufferpool and pageset use more easily that the hoops we jump thru today.

I know this is not an answer to your question, in part because there is no one command that will give you the information you want. Monitoring MQ on any platform is a huge subject. Monitoring the resources MQ is using under the covers (like bufferpools, pagesets and CF) can get even bigger, quickly. And I can bore you to tears on ways I've seen it done (and not done) and the relative effectiveness.....

Happy winter solstice!
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Pagesets can expand as needed when defined with EXPAND(USER) or EXPAND(SYSTEM) script commands. Review this http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.mq.csqsaw.doc%2Fza12150_.htm

Review this http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.mq.doc%2Fza12100_.htm on managing pagesets.

And this http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.mq.csqsav.doc%2Fzs10520_.htm to define your pagesets.

And this http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv7/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.mq.csqsaw.doc%2Fza12150_.htm on how to expand a pageset.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Have you thought about using
dis ql(*) curdepth where (pageset eq 7)?

Have fun

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » When page set is nearly full, identifying biggest queues
Jump to: