ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » If any transaction got abended what happened to that message

If any transaction got abended what happened to that message « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sumansengupta07
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: If any transaction got abended what happened to that message Reply with quote

Novice

In MQ if a queue triggers any transaction and the corresponding transaction got abended then what happened to that message?
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: If any transaction got abended what happened to that mes Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sumansengupta07 wrote:
In MQ if a queue triggers any transaction and the corresponding transaction got abended then what happened to that message?

That depends on your transaction handling, doesn't it?
sumansengupta07
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

If transaction got abended then it will be backed out and all the resources will get released. According to me, it should go back to that local queue from where it comes from if backout queue is not defined?? Correct me if i m wrong???????
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sumansengupta07 wrote:
If transaction got abended then it will be backed out and all the resources will get released. According to me, it should go back to that local queue from where it comes from if backout queue is not defined?? Correct me if i m wrong???????

If an MQ transaction abends and you take no action it'll roll onto the original queue even if a backout queue is defined unless you have some kind of transaction handler or handling in play.
sumansengupta07
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

But if any transaction abends consecutively 3 times in 3 separate MQ call then 3 messages will go back again to the original queue. And if we create a backout queue with threshold value 3 then only 1 message will go to that backout queue. By defining this backout queue, storage space is less consumed in mq. Am I r8 or wrong??
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You are right.

Or you are wrong.

Have you considered experimenting?
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sumansengupta07 wrote:
Am I r8 or wrong??

You're wrong about it consuming less space.

You're wrong about how WMQ handles transactional boundaries.

You're wrong about what backout threshold means.

You're wrong about how backout threshold is used.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Are you asking about a CICS transaction? An IMS transaction? Some other kind of transaction?
sumansengupta07
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

then can you please tell me the logic means how it works???
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

sumansengupta07 wrote:
then can you please tell me the logic means how it works???

How what works?

Do you know what a transaction is? Search here and Google for 'syncpoint' and 'unit of recovery' and 'unit of work'.

Search also for 'computer+acid test'.
elkinsc
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Chiming in late - as usual Reply with quote

Centurion

If a transaction under the control of the resource managers available on z/OS (CICS, IMS, RRS) abends and one or more messages have been put or gotten and are under syncpoint control, then they will be backed out. If the messages have been processed with the no syncpoint option, they are not.

By themselves the transaction managers on z/OS (CICS, RRS, IMS) do not do anything with the backout count of backout re-queue queue. They expect the application to check the count and determine if the messages should be moved to the re-queue queue (poisoned or politician messages).

If you are using the CICS bridge to initiate the transaction, the action is different. The CICS Bridge, which is a supplied CICS and MQ application program, does honor the the backout count and re-queue queue. If an error occurs, the message that initiated the transaction is put to the specified re-queue queue. Please see the CICS InfoCenter for additional information (CICS supplies the code). A link to the CICS 4.1 description of the behavior can be found here:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/cicsts/v4r1/topic/com.ibm.cics.ts.wmq.bridge.doc/topics/zs11430_.html

What you have asked is very broad, and the response to those types of questions is always 'it depends'.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » If any transaction got abended what happened to that message
Jump to: