ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » Migrating WMQ Z/OS to WMQ AIX V 7.5

Migrating WMQ Z/OS to WMQ AIX V 7.5 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

You will also need to consider EBCDIC to ASCII conversion issues, both in application source code (literals), as well as in your application data.
elkinsc
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

There are some subtle differences in the use of the API, for example on z/OS batch job two phase commit coordination is handled via RRS. On distributed platforms, you will need to use MQ as the transaction manager or use another XA complaint manager. This is an area that has brought many to grief.

Also do you ever use the z/OS utility to capture messages from the MQ logs? That is not available on distributed, though there are commercially available products that may help.

Good luck, I have seen countless dollars thrown down the rat hole that is 'moving off the mainframe to save money' Most projects have spent far, far more than staying on z/OS would have cost them and never achieved the same functionality or availability.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

elkinsc wrote:
There are some subtle differences ... two phase commit coordination is handled via RRS.

Good catch.

elkinsc wrote:
Also do you ever use the z/OS utility...

Do a search for CSQUTIL and all other occurrences of CSQ* executables in your JCL. There are other WMQ for z/OS-specific utilities - some with midrange equivalents, some not.

elkinsc wrote:
Good luck, I have seen countless dollars thrown down the rat hole that is 'moving off the mainframe to save money' Most projects have spent far, far more than staying on z/OS would have cost them and never achieved the same functionality or availability.

I'll attempt to translate this for you. You must create a very detailed plan for moving all z/OS software and procedures for z/OS WMQ, DB2, CICS, and related OEM products.

What is the time-frame for this? Are you an experienced z/OS sysprog? Are you an experineced AIX sysadmin?
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
elkinsc wrote:
There are some subtle differences ... two phase commit coordination is handled via RRS.

Good catch.

Another one....
If the apps neglected to specify whether they wanted syncpoint yes or no on their MQGETs and MQPUTs and relied on the default, the default is different between z/OS and non z/OS.
elkinsc
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Good catch Peter - we mentioned that in Sandusky!

And of course if the applications are relying on the default persistence and are defined with a 'define like' on the delivered model queue, message loss will occur when you least expect it. Then you shall be at the mercy of an Inquisition.

Now that I have that our of my system.

Moving from z/OS to a distributed platform requires a great deal of coordination, painstaking planning, very detailed plan implementation, and significant test effort. The few truly successful efforts I've seen had a great deal of parallel production processing built into their schedules and hives of auditors verifying each transaction, typically for at least a quarter.

Good luck does not take the place of good planning and testing, but I do wish you luck in this. MQ is often a very small piece of these efforts, and just as often gets blamed for all the misfortune that occurs on every platform!
fatherjack
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Migrating WMQ Z/OS to WMQ AIX V 7.5 Reply with quote

Knight

shilpa.sabade wrote:
we are migrating all our Z/OS applications to AIX

From experience for 'migrate' you may have to substitute the word 're-write' in many cases.
shilpa.sabade
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

All .. Thank you so much for your time and giving me direction and making me understand the complexity of the task .

I Listed all the MQ Z/OS utilities ... lot of our applications are using FileToQ.. IBM supplied .

I will check on MQGET and MQPUT options today.

Thank you.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

shilpa.sabade wrote:

I will check on MQGET and MQPUT options today.

Do not limit your search!

The APR and APG manuals (and InfoCenter equivalents) identify MQI calls and structures that are different from midrange WMQ. These calls will/may return ReasonCodes that are not supported on midrange WMQ.

You, or a developer, should look at each and every application to determine what changes, if any, are necessary.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Moved to mainframe forum.
elkinsc
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Is there a 'moving from the mainframe' forum? Reply with quote

Centurion

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » Migrating WMQ Z/OS to WMQ AIX V 7.5
Jump to: