ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Non Static Java Functions from ESQL

Non Static Java Functions from ESQL « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Urizen
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Non Static Java Functions from ESQL Reply with quote

Novice

Hi everyone,

I've read the documentation and several posts that show the interaction between JAVA and ESQL, but only for static functions.
Does anybody tried to call a java function (non static) from ESQL?. Is it possible?.
Thanks in advance.
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

The called function needs to be static. Once you get inside the called function, you can call any regular Java function from there.

So you can use any Java jar you want, as long as you interface it properly through a static Java function.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

instead of making guesses based on what other people say, have you considered checking what the documentation says?

What requirement are you trying to fill by using a non-static method call?
Urizen
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thanks lancelotlinc, I didn't want to write a static custom wrapper for the function, but it seems that's the only way it can be done, so i'll do it.

On the other hand, mqjeff, instead of assuming that I didn't read the documentation, have you considered reading my first post complete before answering me?. If you didn't, I'll help you:
Quote:
I've read the documentation and several posts that show the interaction between JAVA and ESQL, but only for static functions.

Thanks.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Urizen wrote:
I've read the documentation

Any Java method that you want to invoke must have the following basic signature:

public static <return-type> <method-name> (< 0 - N parameters>)

Urizen
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Yeah, the spanish version (that's the one I've read) says something like that... but there the phrase could mean "should" or "must", that's why I asked if someone have ever tried to call a non static function.
Thanks.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Perhaps C++ compilers are more flexible in Spain?

Edit:
More seriously, Compute nodes are themselves static C++ methods (and reentrant) so I suspect it would be rather challenging to make a non-static call into the embedded JVM.

As mentioned, once inside the JVM, it's a free-for-all.
mgk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

Quote:
Compute nodes are themselves static C++ methods (and reentrant) so I suspect it would be rather challenging to make a non-static call into the embedded JVM.

Compute node are C++, but they are certainly not static . I have looked into this in the past - it certainly would be possible to call Java and .NET methods that are not static if we wanted to, so if you would like this feature, please raise a requirement for future consideration...

Kind regards,
Urizen
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

That's great, I'll raise the requirement then.
Thanks both!!.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

mgk wrote:
Quote:
Compute nodes are themselves static C++ methods (and reentrant) so I suspect it would be rather challenging to make a non-static call into the embedded JVM.

Compute node are C++, but they are certainly not static .

I remember stuff from when I was trying to do write extensions for v5 about there only every being a single copy of the node functional code running, which has always in my mind meant "static".
mgk
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

Quote:
I remember stuff from when I was trying to do write extensions for v5 about there only every being a single copy of the node functional code running.

This part is correct for a given node in a given flow.. But the same type of node can exist more that once in a single flow or indeed in a different flow. So it can't be static as each needs its own instance of a compute node object which is shared across only the instances that below to that flow...

Kind regards,

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Non Static Java Functions from ESQL
Jump to: