ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Virtual IP Address

Virtual IP Address « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
atif76
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Virtual IP Address Reply with quote

I have just installed IBM WS MQ/MQ in a • Using multi-instance brokers Mode. And the Active/Standby are working good.
The version are like this.
MB 8.0.0.2
MQ 7.1.0.2
AIX 7.1

The question I have is, how the application will be routed to the Standby node in case the Active goes down? Because in this multi-instance installatioin, we don't have virtual IP defined.

Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Regards,
Atif
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

If you mean an application that connects to the queue manager via WMQ Client, provided the WMQ Client installation is at a level that is Multi-Instance (MI) aware, i.e. V7.0.1 or above, and the appropriate DEFRECON value in the CLNTCONN is specified, it should pick up on the fact that the connection was broken and try to re-establish connection and will try the alternative in the CONNAME attribute.

The above assumes the use of a CCDT by the way...
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Virtual IP Address Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

atif76 wrote:
I have just installed IBM WS MQ/MQ in a • Using multi-instance brokers Mode. And the Active/Standby are working good.
The version are like this.
MB 8.0.0.2
MQ 7.1.0.2
AIX 7.1

The question I have is, how the application will be routed to the Standby node in case the Active goes down? Because in this multi-instance installatioin, we don't have virtual IP defined.

Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Regards,
Atif

When you take down the primary, what do you observe to be the behavior? Why ask us when you can test it out for yourself in about ten seconds ?
atif76
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancelotlinc,

So far I have only the infrastructure ready and the services are being shifted on the standby node if something goes wrong on the primary.

I am confused on how this will be communicated to the clients that the primary (10.1.20.41) is down and services have been shifted on the standby node. In this type of installation (multi-instance) we dont have any virtual IP address which could be shifted to the active node along with the application.

Regards,
Atif
atif76
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exerk,

Yes we have WMQ and WMB installed on latest version for production setup and would appreciate if you could provide some more details on
DEFRECON, CLNTCONN and CCDT, some link would be appreciated. Thanks
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

atif76 wrote:
lancelotlinc,

So far I have only the infrastructure ready and the services are being shifted on the standby node if something goes wrong on the primary.

I am confused on how this will be communicated to the clients that the primary (10.1.20.41) is down and services have been shifted on the standby node. In this type of installation (multi-instance) we dont have any virtual IP address which could be shifted to the active node along with the application.

Regards,
Atif

So - to answer your own question - why not try it out. When you take down the primary, what do you observe to be the behavior? Why ask us when you can test it out for yourself in about ten seconds ?
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

atif76 wrote:
exerk,

Yes we have WMQ and WMB installed on latest version for production setup and would appreciate if you could provide some more details on

Happy to provide you with the information that all of the above are explained within the Info Centre applicable to the version you are using. Also, the Info Centre explains how WMQ Client applications use MI queue managers.

I'm still not clear from your post what you mean by "...shifted to the active node along with the application..."?
atif76
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exerk wrote:
atif76 wrote:
exerk,

Happy to provide you with the information that all of the above are explained within the Info Centre applicable to the version you are using. Also, the Info Centre explains how WMQ Client applications use MI queue managers.

I'm still not clear from your post what you mean by "...shifted to the active node along with the application..."?

The question is very basic. IBM claims this multi-instance is a procedure to get high availability.

And my question is "How the client side (a browser ) will let it know that the application is no move live on the first node and have been shifted on the secondary node?"

If the client side is well aware of the installation and we have provided IPs of both Active/Standby, the client would be routed to the second node in case the active goes down. But if the client is not a MQ client, and its just a browser, how come this situation will be handled?
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

atif76 wrote:
exerk wrote:
atif76 wrote:
exerk,

The question is very basic. IBM claims this multi-instance is a procedure to get high availability.

And my question is "How the client side (a browser ) will let it know that the application is no move live on the first node and have been shifted on the secondary node?"

If the client side is well aware of the installation and we have provided IPs of both Active/Standby, the client would be routed to the second node in case the active goes down. But if the client is not a MQ client, and its just a browser, how come this situation will be handled?

High availability does not imply uninterrupted service which is very distinct and different.

You have implemented Active-Passive configuration. If you want uninterrupted service, you need Active-Active configuration. If you would read the InfoCentre, you would have known this fact.
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

atif76 wrote:
...And my question is "How the client side (a browser ) will let it know that the application is no move live on the first node and have been shifted on the secondary node?"

And just what is connecting to the queue manager and feeding information to the web browser?

atif76 wrote:
If the client side is well aware of the installation and we have provided IPs of both Active/Standby, the client would be routed to the second node in case the active goes down.

Not quite. The Client would detect a broken connection and carry out an appropriate action, e.g. reconnect.

atif76 wrote:
But if the client is not a MQ client, and its just a browser, how come this situation will be handled?

As far as I am aware, a browser cannot connect directly to a queue manager - but there's normally something in between that does.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The client is not notified at all in any way that a failover has occured.

The client discovers that an existing connection is broken and discovers that one of the IP addresses it has been given for connection information is unavailable.

The client then connects to the other IP address.

Likewise, when a virtual IP address is used, no client of any kind on any protocol is notified that the device on the other side of the VIP has changed.

Existing connections are broken, applications create new ones.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

atif76 wrote:
But if the client is not a MQ client, and its just a browser, how come this situation will be handled?

No client except a WMQ client can connect to a queue manager. If you have a client in the sense of a web based application, then that is using a WMQ client (possibly the JMS WMS client) and that client understand the MI technology.

If you have (for example) a server side WMQ application which you connect to via a web browser client then the situation will not be handled by the MI supplied with WMQ. This technology provides high availability for the queue manager and connected architecture, not your application code. You need to build a mechanism which detects that the existing connection is inactive / broken and reconnect.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Perhaps the OP is referring to the HTTP Bridge client.
AkankshA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

your application connects to MQ client, MQ client connects to Active QM /stand by qm (when appropriate)

the conname attribute here should have both the server names....

network address of both the servers are added to the connection name in client and channel definitions.

CONNAME('LONDON, BRISTOL')

However your client applications should be capable to be automatically reconnectable
shayanjameel08
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only the infrastructure ready and the services are being shifted on the standby node. Love this web development work.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Virtual IP Address
Jump to: