ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » How can be delete empty message automatically??

How can be delete empty message automatically?? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ydeonia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: How can be delete empty message automatically?? Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi

We have strange situation like we are getting empty messages continuously in the queue. Right now we are manually deleting those after every 7 days.

I request to all MQ gurus to give me any idea to do it automatically .

I didnt get any thing on Google for this.

Thanks
YSD
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Did you really expect Google to know about your own application bugs?

Don't address the symptom of the problem - address the cause.
ydeonia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

zpat wrote:
Did you really expect Google to know about your own application bugs?

Don't address the symptom of the problem - address the cause.

Thanks ,Its like we have some application when it sending the messages to MQ , its sending the empty messages too with it. We cant avoid the empty messages.
Now those empty messages are getting into queue with other kind of messages too.

So the big challenge was to delete the messages which are empty . what I think to overcome this
either I defined some other queue for empty messages and clear them manually or to define the expiry .

Some where in the forum I read about the mqget destructively . But I didnt get the point .

Please clear me.
Mr Butcher
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan

1. i go with zpat - address the cause

2. make your consuming application tolerate empty messages

3. write your own application to browse / get empty messages

4. use a channel exit (if messages come in via channel)

5. ?!?

if you dont know what a "mqget destructively " is, then maybe you should do some more reading to get mq knowledge or talk with experienced colleagues. Setting up an automated solution for this with little mq knowledge may end up in a lot of trouble .... (if you do the wrong things)
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ydeonia wrote:
Thanks ,Its like we have some application when it sending the messages to MQ , its sending the empty messages too with it. We cant avoid the empty messages.

Why not? It's illegal to raise a defect against the sending application? The sending application team are holding your family hostage? They have embarrassing pictures of you?

ydeonia wrote:
So the big challenge was to delete the messages which are empty

Which your reading application could easily do

ydeonia wrote:
. what I think to overcome this
either I defined some other queue for empty messages and clear them manually or to define the expiry .

I'm not sure "think" is what you're doing. If you define some other queue for empty messages, how are you going to get the empty messages into it without changing either the sending or receiving application? If you're changing the applications, why not simply change them to fix the root problem and avoid the need for an extra queue? Likewise with expiry; either the sending application needs to set it, or the receiving application would need to bounce it.

ydeonia wrote:
Some where in the forum I read about the mqget destructively . But I didnt get the point .

The point is that the receiving application must be doing this already. The important point is you didn't get the point but are still determined to fix this yourself.

ydeonia wrote:
Please clear me.

I echo the comments of my associates (who have already suggested much of the above), especially the danger of just thrashing round trying to fix this without real understanding of WMQ or apparently any desire to fix the problem at source but plug it up yourself.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Care to explain what an 'empty' message contains?

Is it just the message-descriptor (MQMD), but zero bytes of application data?

Or is it something else?
mattfarney
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

As two possible causes:

1. Someone is writing message to MQ and treating the \n (or other platform specific line-feed) as a new message.

So, "send this message\n" becomes
"send this message"
"\n"

2. Someone is not checking for a null input when writing to MQ. So a no write generates a message with empty data field.

Just some suggestions.

-mf
gunjand
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Ideally contract with source application should mention them to avoid sending NULL messages. This will be the permanent and clean fix.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

ydeonia wrote:

We have strange situation like we are getting empty messages continuously in the queue.

Empty message? There is no such technical term "empty message."

gunjand wrote:
Ideally contract with source application should mention them to avoid sending NULL messages. This will be the permanent and clean fix.

NULL messages? There is no such technical term "NULL message."

I asked the OP to explain what an empty message looks like. I'm guessing that it contains zero bytes of application payload.

An mq message may contain 0-100MB of application (user) data. Thus, by definition, a message with zero bytes of app data is not an invalid message - at least to mq.

If the receiving application cannot tolerate a message with zero bytes of app data, it should apply the usual business rules for editing input data, and discard (if appropriate) the message that is invalid for the application.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » How can be delete empty message automatically??
Jump to: