ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » Report on contents of a queue

Report on contents of a queue « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sumithar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Report on contents of a queue Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi
Can I "export" or "report" on the contents of a queue on zOS before its contents are processed by my batch program?
I use the File Manager MQ feature to browse the contents of the queue in TSO/ISPF but I can only view- I don't see any way to export/report.

Thanks
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

What exactly is the requirement here? What can an export / report tell you about the contents of a queue that the application processing it cannot?

Also why are messages sitting on this queue long enough for you to look at them with TSO? That's a poor design.

Your best bet (and I say "best" somewhat guardedly) would be to unload the queue with CSQUTIL and either examine the unload or reload it onto another queue to look at. I can think of 5 reasons not to do this, most stemming from the "what exactly is the requirement" question.

There's not a good way to do this because you shouldn't want or need to do this.
sumithar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi Vitor. Thanks for the response. This is our application. A number of different processes running on various platforms drop audit messages during the course of the working day. An hourly batch program gets the messages from the queue and loads them into a DB2 table. We ran into a problem where some of the messages weren't able to be loaded due to some data type error and since we weren't hanging on to the loadfile, we wanted to unload the contents of the queue just before the batch process and examine them for aberrant data.

I am not familiar with CSQUTIL but will definitely do my due diligence in that regard
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sumithar wrote:
We ran into a problem where some of the messages weren't able to be loaded due to some data type error

And the error message from the application didn't give any clues? Like the contents of the failing messages?
sumithar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Vitor wrote:
sumithar wrote:
We ran into a problem where some of the messages weren't able to be loaded due to some data type error

And the error message from the application didn't give any clues? Like the contents of the failing messages?

The DB2 load utility just says a record number is in error. Ideally we should hang on to the input file used for the load process but we are not, so it will help to be able to look at the messages
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sumithar wrote:
A number of different processes running on various platforms drop audit messages during the course of the working day. An hourly batch program gets the messages from the queue and loads them into a DB2 table.

I still don't like this as a design. You shouldn't have messages sitting on a queue unprocessed.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

What DB2 load utility?
sumithar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Vitor wrote:
sumithar wrote:
A number of different processes running on various platforms drop audit messages during the course of the working day. An hourly batch program gets the messages from the queue and loads them into a DB2 table.

I still don't like this as a design. You shouldn't have messages sitting on a queue unprocessed.

I don't know enough on this subject to disagree with you but this was done some 10+ years back and I was not a part of that. Nature of legacy systems, eh!
sumithar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

bruce2359 wrote:
What DB2 load utility?

The IBM supplied load utility for DB2 on zOS. DSNUTILB
sumithar
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

sumithar wrote:
Hi Vitor. Thanks for the response. This is our application. A number of different processes running on various platforms drop audit messages during the course of the working day. An hourly batch program gets the messages from the queue and loads them into a DB2 table. We ran into a problem where some of the messages weren't able to be loaded due to some data type error and since we weren't hanging on to the loadfile, we wanted to unload the contents of the queue just before the batch process and examine them for aberrant data.

I am not familiar with CSQUTIL but will definitely do my due diligence in that regard

Thank you I was able to use CSQUTIL to copy or rather unload the queue. I can't browse it in TSO but am able to load into another queue and then view

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » Report on contents of a queue
Jump to: