ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » iSeries, OpenVMS, HP-NSS » MQ Client on iSeries(AS/400 or i5/OS)

MQ Client on iSeries(AS/400 or i5/OS) « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
damery
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: iSeries with ONLY MQ Client NO SERVER Reply with quote

Hello,
I currently have MQ server on my iSeries and use the managers with the client code to connect. However we are moving away to having MQ managers only in Aix so I need to use a CLIENT ONLY set up ...how do I upgrade my RPGLE programs to connect and access these remote MQ managers? I am on OS7.1 going to 7.2 I hope soon. I have read you CANNOT install Server/client and client only on the iSeries. I have also seen some info on using SQL to access MQ managers and queues. I also keep hearing about a java client that can be run on the iSeries but have seen no code examples of using it with RPGLE programs.

What is the best path to upgrade my RPGLE programs that are currently using the QMQM library of client functions to a CLIENT ONLY set up using SQL or JAVA or is there a new API for accessing MQ managers and queues on an Aix server?
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Moderator, doesn't this thread belong in the "iSeries, OpenVMS, HP-NSS" forum?
damery
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: as400 iseries client ONLY Reply with quote

I believe on the as400 iseries you can install the MQ server which comes with a client and automatically connects to your server which then uses the Managers channels and xmit queues to connect to other remote system mq servers.
There is an option to have just the client but you cannot run both server/client and client only.
With client only I believe the programs function the same but they use an environment variable (MQSERVER) to connect to the remote server. There might be an option to use a data structure with MQCONNX if that is what you have been using.
I am in the process of going from server/client to client only. Information on how to do this is non-existant and the explanations are vague. But from what I can gleen, IBM i MQ Client only uses environment variable with server ip location and the programs are the same as the server/client setup.
I will update after we make the jump, since you cannot have server/client and client only on the IBM i as400 iseries.
Questions on this? Answers?
JosephGramig
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Not that I know much about AS400 or iSeries but at this link, the KC says you can use a CCDT on that platform. Using a CCDT with the MQCHLLIB variable is vastly superior to MQSERVER.

On that page, they indicate you can create the CCDT with the client. They didn't give the command format for iSeries but I'm sure you can figure it out.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSFKSJ_9.0.0/com.ibm.mq.con.doc/q016710_.htm

MQSeries.net Forum Index » iSeries, OpenVMS, HP-NSS » MQ Client on iSeries(AS/400 or i5/OS)
Jump to: