ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Do we need to have MQ v7 client to connect to Multi instance

Do we need to have MQ v7 client to connect to Multi instance « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Mitra
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Do we need to have MQ v7 client to connect to Multi instance Reply with quote

Voyager

do we need to have MQ v7 client in order to connect to two or more IP’s for multi-instance QManagers ?

Thanks
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Yes.
Mitra
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

mqjeff wrote:
Yes.

Can you please help me in directing to the docs where i can find more information about this.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Mitra wrote:
Can you please help me in directing to the docs where i can find more information about this.

More information about what? Using clients in an MI situation? The fact that WMQv6 clients don't support MI?

Both of those are answered in the v7 documentation.
Mitra
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Vitor wrote:
Mitra wrote:

More information about what? Using clients in an MI situation? The fact that WMQv6 clients don't support MI?

Both of those are answered in the v7 documentation.

so if we are moving to MQ V7 all the clients/App's connecting to the Qmgrs(V7) needs to be changed to V7?
exerk
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Mitra wrote:
so if we are mpoving to MQ V7 all the clients/App's connecting to the Qmgrs(V7) needs to be changed to V7?

No, but a sensible thing to do anyway if you're moving to WMQ V7.0, and yes if moving to MI queue managers.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Mitra wrote:
so if we are moving to MQ V7 all the clients/App's connecting to the Qmgrs(V7) needs to be changed to V7?

If and only if you're plannning to use the new-to-v7 MI feature.

If the queue manager is (for example) protected by HACMP and does not use MI then a v6 client can connect to a v7 queue manager just fine.
exerk
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Vitor wrote:
...If and only if you're plannning to use the new-to-v7 MI feature...

Depending on the client language, and whether LDAP is in use, SupportPac MA98 could suffice.
Mitra
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Vitor wrote:
Mitra wrote:

If and only if you're plannning to use the new-to-v7 MI feature.

If the queue manager is (for example) protected by HACMP and does not use MI then a v6 client can connect to a v7 queue manager just fine.

we will be using MI for the Qmgr but the thing is the client is not directly connecting to the Qmgr
ex :

QMI(Client side)....(using VPN).....> keeps message to QM2(our side which is in dmz).......(Puts message to another Qmgr)....>QM3......>QM4......>QM5(we will be changing to MI).........>(App on our side).

in this scenario also do we need to change the client to MQ V7?
Mitra
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

exerk wrote:
Vitor wrote:

Depending on the client language, and whether LDAP is in use, SupportPac MA98 could suffice.

We and Client are using Java Programs and i am not sure about LDAP.
exerk
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Mitra wrote:
exerk wrote:
Vitor wrote:

We are using Java Programs and i am not sure about LDAP.

The SupportPac becomes irrelevant in this case. The client side does not need to be V7.0 (from the diagram in your previous post) but it would be sensible to upgrade it to the same level of WMQ as the queue manager.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Mitra wrote:
QMI(Client side)....(using VPN).....> keeps message to QM2(our side which is in dmz).......(Puts message to another Qmgr)....>QM3......>QM4......>QM5(we will be changing to MI).........>(App on our side).

This picture is NOT the same as "connect to two or more IP’s for multi-instance QManagers ? ".

That picture would have QMI(client side)->QM5, with nothing in between.

But be aware in your picture if QM2->QM3->QM4 is an MQCluster, then you DO need MQ v7 on all those machines if you change QM4->QM5 to MI link.
Mitra
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

mqjeff wrote:
Mitra wrote:

This picture is NOT the same as "connect to two or more IP’s for multi-instance QManagers ? ".

That picture would have QMI(client side)->QM5, with nothing in between.

But be aware in your picture if QM2->QM3->QM4 is an MQCluster, then you DO need MQ v7 on all those machines if you change QM4->QM5 to MI link.

So if QM4 is connecting to QM5(MI) so there is no need of QM4 to be in MQ V7 and just the channel to be (ip(port), Ip(port) ) like this?
and Qm1 which is Client side qmgr should be in MQv7 too or not
and QM2->QM3->QM4 these are not in clustering.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Mitra wrote:
So if QM4 is connecting to QM5(MI) so there is no need of QM4 to be in MQ V7 and just the channel to be (ip(port), Ip(port) ) like this?
and Qm1 which is Client side qmgr should be in MQv7 too or not
and QM2->QM3->QM4 these are not in clustering.

QM4 NEEDS to be MQ v7.

None of the others *need* to be MQ v7. UNLESS they are in an MQ Cluster with AT LEAST ONE MI qmgr.

All the others *should* be in MQV7, as soon as possible.
exerk
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Mitra wrote:
So if QM4 is connecting to QM5(MI) so there is no need of QM4 to be in MQ V7 and just the channel (ip(port), Ip(port) ) like this?

Any queue manager connecting to an MI queue manager needs to be able to address both IP Addresses/DNS Names of the servers on which the MI queue manager can run, and the best way to achieve that is for the connecting queue manager to be V7.0.

Mitra wrote:
and Qm1 which is Client side qmgr should be in MQv7 too

No, not if it's not connecting to an MI queue manager but it's worth your while upgrading everything to V7.0 anyway.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Do we need to have MQ v7 client to connect to Multi instance
Jump to: