ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » mqctl suspend/mqctl stop does not return.

mqctl suspend/mqctl stop does not return. « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Duong Nguyen
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: mqctl suspend/mqctl stop does not return. Reply with quote

---- I've moved this from "General Discussion" ---
We are first time users of Websphere MQ so please be gentle.
What we are attempting to do is to implement asynchronous callback under .NET. I know that the new XMS does allow this but it would involve a fair amount of new code. This is our plan B.

Our plan A is as follow:

Our first attempt was to search for the hConn member of the .NET CSharp MQQueueManager in order to pass on to the C API, i.e. MQCB and MQCTL. This seems to work well until some mysterious problem occured that we did not know how to fix. I'll describe this system more fully if people are interested.

Our second attempt is to call C API directly from .NET CSharp. Subscriptions and point to point messages are received via a callback from C (and C++) into .NET CSharp. The connection to the queue manager (in client mode) is done via the C-API call MQCONNX. This program, A, sends request (via MQPUT) to another program called B. Before the message is sent, A executes a MQCTL Suspend is called to stop the callback. All of this works well until we starts to receive a lots of published messages from a third program, C. Program A MQCTL suspend (and MQCTL stop) simply do not return and program A hang.

If we get program C to stop publication before program A executes MQCTL suspend/stop then everything works.

The connection from all programs to the queue manager is via TRANSPORT_MQSERIES_CLIENT, MQCNO_HANDLE_SHARE_BLOCK, MQCNO_SHARED_BINDING, the channel is TCP/IP

While investigating this problem, we tried to connect with MQCNO_HANDLE_SHARE_NO_BLOCK, MQCNO_SHARED_STANDARD. The MQCONNX returns no error, however, the DISPLAY CONN indicates that the connection is still MQCNO_HANDLE_SHARE_BLOCK, MQCNO_SHARED_BINDING.

In order to eliminates parameter passing problem from .NET CSharp to we go via an intermediary C++ program. We can put a break point in the C++ program to examine the parameter to make sure they are correct before the C-API is called.

The C++ program also helps with the .NET CSharp callback that is stdcall, not the cdel callback of the C-API message handler.

The queue manager runs on Windows server 2003, Websphere MQ 7.0.
The clients A, B and C runs on Windows XP, Websphere client 7.0.

The questions are:
1) Are some connection parameters for the MQCONNX calls needs to be changed before MQCTL suspend/stop work?
2) What should I do to connect as MQCNO_HANDLE_SHARE_NO_BLOCK, MQCNO_SHARED_STANDARD.

I'm very hesitant to give up and open a second connection for sending/publishing and keep the first connection for receiving point to point and subscription since this is an unknown that weighs heavily on my mind. Our system, when it is finished will manage all the motorways in our city. Any unknown here is simply not welcome.
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I've locked your original post but next time please request a moderator move the post, otherwise it shows up as a double-post and you're bound to get some flak if people think it is a double, thank you
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I'd try using an entirely separate MQCONNX call to create a separate connection to receive the Publications.

It doesn't seem a good idea off the cuff to mix and match synchronous and asynchronous calls on the same connection handle, and I suspect there's something in the manuals that indicates this, even if slightly obliquely.
Duong Nguyen
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mqjeff wrote:
I'd try using an entirely separate MQCONNX call to create a separate connection to receive the Publications.

It doesn't seem a good idea off the cuff to mix and match synchronous and asynchronous calls on the same connection handle, and I suspect there's something in the manuals that indicates this, even if slightly obliquely.

Thanks, mqjeff. That was my plan also. However, the inability to suspend/stop the callback seems to me a major problem that needs to be solved. Finally, thanks god I've discovered the problem in my code. I'm not sure of the real reason but I now know the piece of code that needs to be removed.

The problem is due to a seemingly innocuous InvokeRequired that Windows GUI text box requires to allow a different thread access (that is not the creator of the text box.) Somehow this statement inside the message handler causes the problem with mqctl hanging, but only when the program is bombarded with publications. A person with a much better understanding of Websphere MQ than me may know why. I myself have no clue.

There is no problem with all three approaches that I used: part C/part .NET trickery via searching for the hConn with inner reflection, just c/.NET with one connection, just c/.NET with two connections.

I should say that this has completely restore my faith in Websphere MQ.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » mqctl suspend/mqctl stop does not return.
Jump to: