ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Sizing of message flows

Sizing of message flows « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
bprasana
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Sizing of message flows Reply with quote

Disciple

Hi all,

I have around 500 concurrent users hitting my search service. I need to size my flow according to that. the response time is about 2-3 seconds.
As we are still in requirement phase , we cannot really perform a test to check how many instances of flows are needed. But we will still need to know the approx count for this.
Do we have any statistical data based on the size of messages or number of of msgs/sec and the response time needed.
or whether is achievable thru WMB.

Can some throw more light on this topic please
Thanks
bprasana
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

This is simple math:
Let us say the flow takes an average of 2 seconds to complete.
You say you need 500 concurrent users. Now we need to define the meaning of concurrent. If that means 500 messages per minute or 500 messages every 10 seconds...

Now @500 messages / min you need 17 instances
@ 500 messages / 10 sec you need 100 instances...

Have fun
bprasana
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Number of instances Reply with quote

Disciple

so lets Say i need 500 concurrent users per sec. Is increasing instances to 100 a better option? or we have another choice of deploying in diff execution groups?

Also, If I say that all these requests in turn hit underlying DB2 database. Will that change your answer?

Another twist is, What happens if we have Updates instead of Searches. Is there a DB2 scaling that needs to be considered?

Thanks for quick reply
bprasana
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Number of instances Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bprasana wrote:
so lets Say i need 500 concurrent users per sec. Is increasing instances to 100 a better option? or we have another choice of deploying in diff execution groups?

Also, If I say that all these requests in turn hit underlying DB2 database. Will that change your answer?

Another twist is, What happens if we have Updates instead of Searches. Is there a DB2 scaling that needs to be considered?

Thanks for quick reply
bprasana

If you are looking @ 500 msg per sec with an average flow time of 2 seconds you need 1000 instances... simple math...
Now about your DB2 this was factored into the average flow time... right?

It is up to you how you can scale (horizontally, vertically, etc...) for each of the components including DB2.

Have fun
bprasana
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: max 256 Reply with quote

Disciple

Sorry for the late reply, I was travelling.

I wanted to know if there is a limit on number of instances(from what i read 256 is the limit). And if increasing the number of instances is the solution.

Thanks
bprasana
kirani
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

bprasana wrote:

I have around 500 concurrent users hitting my search service.

Could you please elaborate on this? Often people mean different things when they refer to "concurrent users". Are you saying that there will be 500 users logged on to some application at a given time and they might use your search service anytime, OR are you saying that the 500 users will click on Submit button at the same time which will call your search service? Since you are still in the requirements phase, I'd strongly suggest that you do some kind of POC for your application. It will help you do a capacity planning for your QA/Prod environment.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Sizing of message flows
Jump to: