ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Workflow Engines - IBM MQ Workflow & Business Process Choreographer » Converting MQ Workflow v3.6 FDL to BPEL using WB Modeler v7

Converting MQ Workflow v3.6 FDL to BPEL using WB Modeler v7 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ptazbaz
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Converting MQ Workflow v3.6 FDL to BPEL using WB Modeler v7 Reply with quote

Apprentice

Using WB Modeler v7, I have started testing conversion of FDL to BPEL for eventual deployment to Process Server. In every test case, there are a significant amount of errors once imported with a majority reflecting non-supported elements in WB Modeler. Before I begin fixing these errors, I would like to understand whether there is a specific approach to export of FDL from buildtime and import into WB Modeler. I have used the "Export Deep" option in buildtime to ensure full coverage, but still have over one thousand errors once imported. It appears that manual conversion is required and I wanted to find out if there are any additional utilities to automate FDL conversion for WB Modeler specifically. I am aware of the FDL to BPEL converter, but that appears to only work for WID, which we are not currently using. Any input is much appreciated.

Paul Tazbaz
jmac
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Paul:

You don't say what the errors are, so it is difficult to know exactly what you are doing. I can generally import all my models into WID using the fdl2bpel wizard contained in WID. Honestly, I was not aware that this could be brought into Modeler.

One thing I can say for certain based on what you have said is that Export DEEP is not quite enough, you need Export DEEP + you UPES activities to successfully import into WID.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ptazbaz
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Converting MQ Workflow v3.6 FDL to BPEL using WB Modeler v7 Reply with quote

Apprentice

John,

Good to still see you on these boards regarding MQWF. WID is not a requirement to deploy to Process Server as WB Modeler can generate the necessary BPEL, WSDL and XSDs for direct deployment. Regarding export of FDL from buildtime, the original export already included the UPES Execution Server definitions, Domain information and data structures. De-selecting the domain and execution server information did not change the number of errors, so I believe that I already have a full export. Regarding errors in WB Modeler, here are some initial error messages. I am working through the conversion guide, but was hoping more errors would auto-resolve on import.

Element Type - General Errors:

Expression - "The binary expression in the expression for element X is missing its first term"....."second term"...."must evaluate to Boolean value".

Local Repository - "Local Repository X in X (Exit Condition Structure) is not supported".

Process Invocation - "The individual resource requirement X for the element X has no individual resource definition or individual resource specified."

Repository data input - "Repository data input X in X is not supported."
Repository data output - "Repository data output X in X is not supported."
Subprocess - "X has multiple input criteria. Only one input criterion is allowed."

Task - "The individual resource requirement X for the task X has no individual resource definition or individual resource specified."
jmac
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting MQ Workflow v3.6 FDL to BPEL using WB Modeler Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

ptazbaz wrote:

WID is not a requirement to deploy to Process Server as WB Modeler can generate the necessary BPEL, WSDL and XSDs for direct deployment.

While IBM may say that this is possible, I think you will find it very close to impossible to do anything other than something very simplistic.

As I kind of alluded to in the earlier post, I have never done this in Modeler. So I am unable to give you any specifics.

I have never attempted to do this, nor has anyone else that I work with. I think you are going to have to go to IBM with these questions.

If you have WID, just for grins, try and use the FDL2BPEL wizard from there. If you don't get errors there, I think you will have a much stronger case to make with IBM.

If you are successful I would appreciate it if you let me know.

Regards

John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ptazbaz
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thanks for the input. v7 is fairly new and I was hoping to get some insight from others on this board that are using it. As a test, I was succesful in generating the deployment files (BPEL, XSD, WSDL, other) directly from WB Modeler and am working towards deployment to Process Server v7 to validate IBM's claims. Business Modeler allows one to bind existing data, services and forms directly to the process model using a "Process Server" mode, so in this scenario the role of WID becomes less clear. I am planning to complete my testing in Modeler as I would like to avoid mutliple tooling hops into production and the added complexity. I will let you know what I find.
hos
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Paul, John,

there might be a misconception in your conversation, so I want to make clear:
WID uses FDL2BPEL utility to convert FDL to BPEL which may be deployed to BPC runtime.
Modeler also provides support for converting FDL to BPEL but is not using FDL2BPEL.
Both products do not claim to support a fully automated conversion from FDL to BPEL, but only offer assistance in completing this manual task. I agree with John that the assistance in WID is significantly better than in Modeler (this has also technical reasons).

You need to make a judgement in every single case what is the best approach to convert an existing MQWF process model into a BPEL process:
Using Modeler or WID, using FDL2BPEL or not. Sometimes it might even be the best option to rewrite it from scratch (and potentially exploit the new BPEL features).

The fact that no one responded on yout initial call might give you a clue what most people are doing or - to put it the other way - what they are NOT doing ;javascript:emoticon('')
ptazbaz
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

We already know that manual conversion is a given and FDL to BPEL is a native import feature in WB Modeler v7 Advanced. This is a business driven effort incorporating modeling\simulation, workflow and monitoring needs along with next generation Business Space portal capability for a unified end-user experience. As a result, we are going to drive through WB Modeler as that is the target authoring environment for these types of capabilities. WID is an IT tool, does not support business process modeling using BPMN, no support for simulation, no business case development for process improvement and is much further downstream from our needs. In reading the documentation for Modeler, it states the following tooling paths:

Modeler->Process Server for direct deployment of executable business process applications
Modeler->Monitor for direct deployment of business measures needed for the real time performance dashboard
Modeler->Business Space for the portal mashups that allow for interacting with the process app\forms, viewing the process model live to determine where one is at any point in the process and the integrated dashboard from monitor to view business performance. In these scenarios where we have existing data, services and screens, WID is positioned as a debug tool for the runtime and to also assist with deployment if needed. For new service development, building ESB type flows, WID makes sense, but our ESB layer has already been developed and exposed as service endpoints apprpriately. This represents the IBM target state for BPM. The acquisition of Lombardi may augment that target state, but this is IBM's current position. Thanks.
jmac
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Paul:

If you can find the time, I would appreciate it if you could let me know how you make out with this plan. Feel free to send me an email.

Thanks

John
ptazbaz
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Will do. I am planning to document the step by step approach for my business partners and will let you know what I find. Thanks for your input.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Workflow Engines - IBM MQ Workflow & Business Process Choreographer » Converting MQ Workflow v3.6 FDL to BPEL using WB Modeler v7
Jump to: