ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Audit of changes to mq objects

Audit of changes to mq objects « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

PeterPotkay wrote:
exerk wrote:
Michael Dag wrote:
...yes but as mqm you can turn these events off and later on or remove the messages from the config event queue without anyone knowing...

so the question is how can you make changes without being mqm or having mqm (group) authority so you can't alter the config event notification or remove the messages from the queue...
IMHO this is a painted lock on the door... but please proof me wrong...

I would expect that the sudden 'loss' of events from a particular queue manager, as noted by the monitoring software being used, would be an indication. That or centralise the queue somewhere else, i.e. redefine as a QR to a collector queue manager somewhere.

There may be no loss of event messages. Turn off config events, make your bad boy changes, turn config events back on. No config event for your naughty change.

BUT, I think turning config events on and off generates config messages.

BUT, you could intercept those and delete them.

I guess there's a way around everything if you have super user access, just like if you have root access you can get around stuff. There is a certain level of trust that comes with having mqm (or mqm level access) or root.

I'm a great believer in only using the mqm account as a service account, i.e. no user should be able to su to it, and I should never need root either. I prefer additional accounts, each assigned to an admin and disabled depending on the level of site paranoia, which the admin has to log in and su to.

It still never ceases to amaze me that security departments will sanction giving out god-level log-in's and application userid's in the mqm group, but jealously guard the password for the one account I need most to do my job.
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

PeterPotkay wrote:
exerk wrote:
Michael Dag wrote:
...yes but as mqm you can turn these events off and later on or remove the messages from the config event queue without anyone knowing...

so the question is how can you make changes without being mqm or having mqm (group) authority so you can't alter the config event notification or remove the messages from the queue...
IMHO this is a painted lock on the door... but please proof me wrong...

I would expect that the sudden 'loss' of events from a particular queue manager, as noted by the monitoring software being used, would be an indication. That or centralise the queue somewhere else, i.e. redefine as a QR to a collector queue manager somewhere.

There may be no loss of event messages. Turn off config events, make your bad boy changes, turn config events back on. No config event for your naughty change.

BUT, I think turning config events on and off generates config messages.

BUT, you could intercept those and delete them.

I guess there's a way around everything if you have super user access, just like if you have root access you can get around stuff. There is a certain level of trust that comes with having mqm (or mqm level access) or root.

I agree there should be a level of trust and yes as mqm you should be allowed to do your work, BUT
I still feel in this day and age changes should be auditable in a proper way, so there is no doubt about whether the mqm user/group was misused.

sending the messages off to somewhere else is one option to make it more difficult but what if you don't have 'another' place to send them to?
adding a sequence number to the messages would be another (so you can detect missing messages from the queue),

the best option that IMHO has always been around and still is is the MQ logs themselves, the logs can not be tampered with and a a 'simple' dmpmqcfglog could spit out configuration changes and security changes...

the security changes themselves are not part of the configuration events either...

I am playing devil's advocate here so don't get me wrong on my intentions

MQSystems Facebook page
exerk
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Pebble in the pond time...what would be really nice would be for config and security events to be on by default. It would be handy if an internal mechanism (tunable preferably) collated the messages and dumped them out to a log. Maybe one for the wish-list?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Audit of changes to mq objects
Jump to: