ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » setmqaut fails for domain id on Windows

setmqaut fails for domain id on Windows « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ydsk
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: setmqaut fails for domain id on Windows Reply with quote

Chevalier

I have MQ v6 on Windows XP Pro.

It was installed using a local id mqsiadmn to avoid changing passwords everytime.

I have a domain id DOM1\dyang that I use for all regular work.

WAS v6.1 was installed using my domain id and it works well.

Now, when WAS tries to connect with MQ for JMS interaction I get MQJMS2013. I think the reason is my domain id doesn't have the permission to connect to MQ because WAS and MQ run with different ids.

To solve the problem I am trying to issue the command setmqaut as follows:

setmqaut -m QMNGR2 -t qmgr -p 'DOM1\dyang' +all

But it always complains "AMQ7026: A principal or group name was invalid." I tried giving the domain name in different ways like dyang@DOM1, etc but nothing worked.

Can somebody please suggest how to give a domain id in the setmqaut command ?

Thanks
ydsk
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: setmqaut fails for domain id on Windows Reply with quote

Poobah

ydsk wrote:
It was installed using a local id mqsiadmn to avoid changing passwords everytime.

That's not a valid reason. Local IDs can be set up to require password changes. Domain IDs can be set up to not require password changes.

ydsk wrote:

Can somebody please suggest how to give a domain id in the setmqaut command ?

Code:
setmqaut -m QMNGR2 -t qmgr -p dyang +all

It assumes ther machine does not also have a local ID called dyang, which would be bad.

+all is way more access that you need.
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Also, try and get used to specifying a group rather than a principle:

Quote:
setmqaut -m QMNGR2 -t qmgr -p 'DOM1\dyang' +all

If doing the above becomes a habit, you're in for a world of hurt on UNIX-based platforms.
ydsk
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Still my original question is unanswered.

I know giving access to group id works. And since it is my local desktop I did that already. But is there a way to give access to the domain id alone ?

And to answer Peter's question, domain id passwords in our organization need to be changed every 45 days as per the policy, and we are forced to do it. They don't change the policy. And with a local id I can set the passwd never to change.

I thought the Hursley guys in the forum might have some solution on how to give access to a windows domain id using setmqaut.

thanks
ydsk.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Moved to Security forum.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

ydsk wrote:

I thought the Hursley guys in the forum might have some solution on how to give access to a windows domain id using setmqaut.

Code:
setmqaut -m QMNGR2 -t qmgr -p dyang +all

It assumes ther machine does not also have a local ID called dyang, which would be bad.

+all is way more access that you need.
mvic
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

ydsk wrote:
And to answer Peter's question, domain id passwords in our organization need to be changed every 45 days as per the policy, and we are forced to do it. They don't change the policy. And with a local id I can set the passwd never to change.

First, -p userid@domain should work according to the setmqaut page in the Information Center. I don't see any mention of quoting so maybe try without any quoting (single quotes were used in one of the examples above, none are mentioned on that manual page though..).

If that doesn't help, maybe gather a trace to capture the problem, and take a look in the trace (use "findstr" to search for the text you supplied to setmqaut.. see if the reason for failure is dumped in a human readable way).. If having done that it is still failing when you follow the manual, then perhaps consider calling IBM support.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Quote:
...domain id passwords in our organization need to be changed every 45 days as per the policy, and we are forced to do it.

A client reported a correlated increase in the use of yellow-stickies, as password cycle times were reduced.
student
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

You need this domain id to be added to local mqm group on your machine.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » setmqaut fails for domain id on Windows
Jump to: