ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Going crazy without a MQ Monitoring Tool

Going crazy without a MQ Monitoring Tool « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
raj
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 9:42 am    Post subject: Going crazy without a MQ Monitoring Tool Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi,

I am incharge for setup and maintanance of a MQSeries network in global company with servers across the globe. My job is to see that the MQ network connectivity is perfect and fix problems as and when there is a problem.

My problem is , the client doesnt give access to the servers, i have to coordinate with the local Unix or available resource in that local place and fix problem. Most of the time those people are not very knowledgable in MQ. If the MQ problem is not cleared the client complains that i am not doing my job. Basically i dont have access to any server, .

Is there any tool for monitoring, from a single location all the MQ infrastructure across the globe. I want only monitoring, they wont give me privileges to modefy or reconfigure the Objects.

Or in the available tools like PATROL, QPasa, Contact Admin can we configure them to only monitor access??

Thanks
Raj
mgrabinski
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

I'm using Candle Command Center (I think they changed names recently to OMEGAMON XE). There is an agent for monitoring and a seprate one for configuring. When you install the agent on all of your MQ managers, you will be able to monitor them from a single point.
dgolding
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

BMC Patrol for MQ - Operator can be configured for read-only access. You need a user-ID and password on the server, but this should NOT be part of the MQM group. By this means, you can't change anything, but you can see channel and queue alarms.

In Unix terms, you can change the login shell to be unusable, so it is not possible to "telnet" into the box, but you CAN connect via a Patrol Console.

HTH
mikiu
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

I am using Omengamon XE/DE form Candle and it does everything for me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kfhickel
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Disclaimer, I am an employee of MQSoftware, Inc, producers of Q Pasa!)

By using the OLS feature of Q Pasa! you can have users that can setup and control monitoring, but not make any MQ object changes. This would allow you to setup a monitoring network with all of your customers.

If you have any questions, please check out our web site at http://www.mqsoftware.com/products/qpasa.jsp, or get back to me.

Thanks,
Kelly Hickel
kfh@mqsoftware.com
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

If you can get a commercial tool purchased and installed globally then congratulations! There are many excellent products - some of which need a management server added. BMC, contact admin, Qpasa, Candle are all good.

However if you can code in something like Java then you might be able to write a program to monitor the status of the queue managers and then investigate problems with the MQ Explorer.
dgolding
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

(Disclaimer: BMC gave me a shirt and a jumper, and Candle gave me a polo-shirt which fell apart on me )

A rough and ready way to start is to use a Supportpac (written in C) like this one:

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/ts/mqseries/txppacs/ms0k.html

This is a real "roll-your-own" approach - pull off the "channel stopped in error" and "queue full" events, and create and dispatch trouble tickets for people to fix

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Going crazy without a MQ Monitoring Tool
Jump to: