ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Help picking an MQSeries Monitoring tool. Pros/Cons...

Help picking an MQSeries Monitoring tool. Pros/Cons... « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Quelish
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 5:01 am    Post subject: Help picking an MQSeries Monitoring tool. Pros/Cons... Reply with quote

Currently we are trying to find a good monitoring tool we can implement to our MQSeries environment. We are currently looking at two different products and I was wondering if anyone can provide any feedback on either product. If anyone has experience with both that would be great as well. I am looking at pros/cons for the following two products.
1. MQSoftware's QPasa!
2. Tivoli Manager for MQSeries

A side note, our company already has Tivoli in house, but not currently utilizing the MQSeries piece.

Thanks in advance!
Travis Wilkinson
Daniel
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at several products. Tivoli is an EMS product and is usually used by Operations in data centers that know very little about MQ. It depends on your objectives and requirements. If your network is small ( 2 qmgrs) and you can control it from a single point with the existing IBM tools (MQSC) than Tivoli might be enough for getting events. However, if you have a medium or large mq network and have to get deeper into mq you may want to look at point or targeted solutions that can help you to have a full control of your mq network that can be used by MQ administrators or support. I know of two products in this area -- Qpasa and contact admin Contact Admin and MQControl. I've looked at Contact Admin and it looks very good. I do not have any experience with Qpasa.
Quelish
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel,
Thanks for your input. We have considerably more than 2 queue managers. From an NT/W2K standpoint we have at least a dozen production queue managers, plus test and pilot queue managers. Any other input would be extremely helpful from anyone.

Thanks!
tso0rxp
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

In my opinion, you have to first identify the issues that you have with monitoring/configuration and decide which of these would give you a benefit if they were automated. We waited a year after our go-live with MQ Series before beginning our evaluation. We had 12-15 issues that were important in a monitoring/configuration tool. We then sent the issue list to 3 of the major vendors. All three responded positively (they all do essentially the same thing) so it came down to features, price and fit into our environment.

By the way, we started with Tivoli and used it for 2 years for monitoring MQ Series. It performed fine but was limited to QMGR status, queue depth and channels (among other trivial ones). As Daniel said in his reply, it is best for the Operations staff.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Help picking an MQSeries Monitoring tool. Pros/Cons...
Jump to: