ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » User Exits » API Exit not seeing XMIT queue activity

API Exit not seeing XMIT queue activity « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
falconX
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: API Exit not seeing XMIT queue activity Reply with quote

Novice

Hi,

More or less as a matter of expiriment, I wrote an API Exit (largely based on WMQ's supplied amqsaxe.c sample) to catch EVERY API call, so that I could produce a detailed trail of WMQ activity...
After lots and lots of pain (as you might guess), I finally managed to get my QMgrs running with my exit, and I saw all these OPENs, PUTs, GETs, ... flowing by; I was impressed!!!
But... at second sight, it was only half of the story for distributed queuing: my exit reported all activity against the remote queue, but only OPEN and CLOSE against the transmission queues... no sign of a PUT or a GET against those! (But lots of other (quite useless) channel related activity).

I think my exit intercepts EVERY SINGLE API call, and as literature lets us believe, the MCA's just issue normal WMQ calls...

QUESTIONS:
Can/can't the WMQ API Exit (not a channel exit) see activity on transmission channels?
If not, WHY?
And... How could I see it?

Tx,

Falcon
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Possibly because the transfer happened in memory?
Remember that when the put app and get app are both active at the same time MQ can chose to transfer the message in memory from putter to getter. (performance feature) In that case the message never really hits the queue...

Possibly because the message got put there through resolution... so you recorded the put on the remote queue.

And I really think that the API exit in question might not appy for a queue which has a usage that is not set to normal (xmitq).

These are but conjectures. I'm sure Roger can give you the real reason.

Enjoy
falconX
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Quite possible... as I run my sending and receiving QMgr on the same system, but one would still expect that registered exits would intervene... what would be the point of having them if they may be bypassed!!!
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: API Exit not seeing XMIT queue activity Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

falconX wrote:
Can/can't the WMQ API Exit (not a channel exit) see activity on transmission channels?

FYI
http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40106

E.g.
Code:
if (pExitParms->APICallerType == MQXACT_INTERNAL)
{
   pEnv = getenv("MIRRORQ_NO_INTERNAL");
   if (pEnv != 0)
   {
      rc = MQXCC_SKIP_FUNCTION;
   }
}

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
falconX
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hello Roger,

Tx for pointing me at http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40106 , but I'm having a similar problem (I think) as radishcarrot...
my exit doesn't check for internal/external applications; as a matter of fact, it registers every Exit point for every application, and writes a message to a file for every call it sees (much like amqsaxe.c).
My Exit produces files for processes like runmqchi, amqrrmfa, runmqchl, ... so it is intercepting calls from internal applications.
The log from my test application shows that it opens the REMOTE queue, puts a message, and closes the queue again.
And the log from the runmqchl process (I only tested outgoing messages until now), shows opens, gets, puts for SYSTEM.CHANNEL.SYNCQ, BUT... it only shows open and close of the transmission queue... no sign of any PUTs or GETs against this one...
And I couldn't find any other process accessing the transmission queue...
So the big question is: what am I doing wrong?

F.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » User Exits » API Exit not seeing XMIT queue activity
Jump to: