ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Messages Lost

Messages Lost « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sri_csee1983
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Messages Lost Reply with quote

Centurion

Dear friends,

For the below post following are the configuration.

MQ Version 5.3
OS where Remote Queue Resides - Z/OS
OS where Local Queue Resides - Windows XP.

In general, If we put the message on the Remote Queue in Z/OS I am able to receive at Windows XP without any issues. But after a weeks time, no code change, nothing happened we found the inconsistency that the messages that are put in remote queue are not coming to local queue. But after a while if put the message, only the new message arrives. No queue depth in the transmission queue, or dead letter queue of both the queue managers, No error log found, No error in Event Viewer of windows. What else should I check friends. Really weired of this. Please help
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Messages generally don't get lost. They were either never successfully put on the remote queue, or they expired, or they were non-persistent and a restart of the queue manager cleared them.
sri_csee1983
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Dear Zpat,

Thanx for ur reply. I have kept all the remote,local and transmission queue' message persistent to persistent. And also we have a log in the Mainframe program which puts the message queue and in tht log we use to print tht message put successfully after every successful message put. this is message is printed for both the scenarios (success and failure) Checked the expiry date too. Its default only.
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

The queue attribute only has the default persistence value, a program can still place non-persistent messages on a queue which has a default of persistent.

There are two possibilities.

1. IBM's product, used globally for 15 years has a serious unknown bug.

2. Your application has not worked or your queues are set up wrongly.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sri_csee1983 wrote:
I have kept all the remote,local and transmission queue' message persistent to persistent.

As previously posted, this is the default persistence. There's nothing in the post showing the messages are actually persistent.

sri_csee1983 wrote:
we have a log in the Mainframe program which puts the message queue and in tht log we use to print tht message put successfully after every successful message put. this is message is printed for both the scenarios (success and failure)

Which proves (taken at face value) that the put of these messages was successful, but nothing more. And assumes the log is accurate - I've encountered 2 apps in my career, on m/f, that wrote to the log before updating a database "for efficiency". Oddly they never logged any database problems...

You say you've checked the event viewer & found nothing - what about in the mainframe logs? Not the queue manager logs, which you say you've looked at, but the system logging. Is there anything there? Have any components been restarted on the m/f side? Does this period of loss coincide with any m/f significant events? Is it a ongoing problem, and does there seem to be a pattern?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

To emphasize the point once more: in our experience MQ does not loose persistent messages.

Messages get lost when:

1. applications not behaving for best practice with MQ (I did the put therefore it should be there and who cares about the return code / reason code anyway?)
  2. System problems not taking into account what is going on: we lost the tcp/ip connection between qmgr and app (svrconn chl) but who cares about the errors it will magically correct itself -- right?
  3. MQ admins are told to get it working again whatever the cost without the author of the command having any care about the cause of the symptom and the right way to resolve the problem.
    My app ain't working right? Just delete all messages on queue X and I'll restart the app...

Enjoy
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

fjb_saper wrote:
MQ admins are told to get it working again whatever the cost without the author of the command having any care about the cause of the symptom and the right way to resolve the problem.
My app ain't working right? Just delete all messages on queue X and I'll restart the app...

Oddly enough, when I was reading the original post, this was actually my first thought, hence my question about the problem being ongoing.
mvic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Messages Lost Reply with quote

Jedi

sri_csee1983 wrote:
What else should I check friends.

The apps that get messages off the destination queue... do they perform MQGET of persistent messages within syncpoint? Does it always process the message successfully, before calling MQCMIT? Do they call MQBACK (or put to a reconciliation queue for example) if the message was not processed successfully? (Just an idea)
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Please post the application code that created Message Descriptor, then mqput the message to the local queue.

Did your application create a persistent message?
Or non-persistent message?
Or, the dreaded third option, did your application specify PERSISTENCE_AS_Q_DEF - take on the persistence attribute of the local queue?

Persistence attribute of a queue only has meaning if the application uses the third option above.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Messages Lost
Jump to: