ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Process Server (WID/WPS/WAS+) » Recommended RAM for WPS 6.0.2.2

Recommended RAM for WPS 6.0.2.2 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Thripura Sundari
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Recommended RAM for WPS 6.0.2.2 Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi All,
I would like to know what is the recommended RAM size for WebSphere Process Server 6.0.2.2. for reasonably fast performance (at least at a development perspective).

The installation document for WebSphere Process Server 6.0.2.2., says 1 GB RAM minimum (1 to 2 GB RAM is recommended) is required.

I am using a Windows XP system with about 3GB of free disk space (after installation) and a 2 GB RAM, with a Virtual Memory - Paging File Size of 768MB.

I would like to know if the people around the world are also using the same amount of RAM or using much higher. If higher, what is the amount of RAM and how is the processing speed.

We have Windows boxes for development and it cannot accomodate more than 2 GB RAM. If this is not sufficient, we would need to insist on getting higher grade systems rather than break our head in arguements.
If not, ie. if we can improve our process server performance with other better practices, I would like to know them too.

If I am missing any other key aspect, please let me know.

Thanks!
ThripuraSundari
mq2wps
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: WPS Productivity techniques Reply with quote

Novice

Below configurations has improved productivity.

• Min 2GB RAM
• Minimum 10GB free hard disk space
• Regular De-fragmentation of drives
• Hard disk with good speed. Min 7200 RPM etc.

• If the WPS profile available in WID is not tuned to run large project, core dump is observed.
Solution:
1. Change the RMI port to SOAP
2. Specify the proper jvmarguments for WPS runtime. Application servers > server1 expand Java and Process Management and Click on Process Definition > Java Virtual Machine and specify Initial Heap Size and Maximum Heap Size
3. Recommendation: for 2GB RAM Machines Initial 256 and Maximum 512. for 4GB double the values.

• WID Crashes and core dump observed with large projects

By default WID is not tuned to handle large projects.
One has to provide proper initial and maximum heap size for WID java process.
This initial and maximum value is specified in wid.inifile in <WID_HOME>/wid.ini. The initial value will be as bellow VMArgs=-Xms128m change this as bellow
VMArgs=-Xj9
VMArgs=-Xms256m
VMArgs=-Xmx512m
VMArgs=-Dosgi.framework.extensions=com.ibm.jxesupport

• WPS Server takes longer time to start.
It is observed that, presence of recoveryLogsand tranlogdelays server startup time.
Solution
Stop the server if started or if taking time to start, kill the java process to force the server stop.

Empty bellow folders found in <WID_HOME>\pf\wps
–logs
–recoveryLogs
–tranlog
–temp
–wstemp

For best Results go with Intel Dual Core2 Processor with 4GB RAM and 512L2Cache and configure the above settings

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Process Server (WID/WPS/WAS+) » Recommended RAM for WPS 6.0.2.2
Jump to: