ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Too many instances of the Receiver channel at the same time

Too many instances of the Receiver channel at the same time « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
tkaravind
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Too many instances of the Receiver channel at the same time Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hello All,

Is it normal for a large number of Receiver channel instances running for a single Sender-receiver pair ?

This is theoretically possible for a SVRCONN type channel - But sounds meaningless for a RCVR channel. Yet - this is exactly what we find in one of our Production servers.

(By instances I mean - I get multiple hits when I do a dis chs(<channel name>) on the receiving end)

The Queue manager already has the ADOPTNEWMCa set. ( Is this not supposed to end the old process before starting a new one ?)

The HBINT for all chls is a default 300.

With a large number of RCVR channels running simultaneously and each running many instances it is not long before the Queue manager chokes up and the whole server hangs !

Would KeepAlive in any way help us here - It is currently set to YES.
Our MQ version is MQ5.3 CSD5.0.

Any help here highly appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
Aravind
vennela
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Is it CLUSRCVR or just RCVR
Are the RCVRs you are talking about have multiple instances with same name? Just wanted to confirm.
Why not apply a CSD. You are running the base level.
tkaravind
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

These are normal "Distributed" Sender-Receiver pairs (Although the queue manager itself is clustered).

CSD upgrade is a good suggestion - yes - one that will come from IBM first if I take the official PMR route for the same.

We may upgrade the MQ to 6 soon - so not sure if the CSD upgrade will be given a go-ahead in the meantime.

However - I wanted to explore solving the problem through changes in other settings (like KeepAlive for instance)

Cheers,
Aravind
Ivans
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

It is acceptable for more than one instance of a receiver to run. Many remote queue managers hosting a sender channel can all connect to the same single local receiver channel, if that's the way you want to architect it.

What does "DIS CHS(<rcvr name>) RQMNAME" return?

And see... http://www.mail-archive.com/mqseries@akh-wien.ac.at/msg14807.html for a bit more info on generic receivers.

Cheers,
Ian
tkaravind
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thanks Ivans ... I had not thought about this possibility in generic design.

However, in our design, we don't have the sender channels on multiple servers all connecting to a single receiver.

When I do a dis chs(<channel name>) I get a number of channels showing as running for the same RCVR chl name !

The IP Address shown in these are all the same, confirming the fact that they are all from the same sender server.

The only other thing I observe (to make my point that this is abnormal) is that the LSTMSG date & time are blanked on these running instances...On a well functioning chl these fields usually contain the Timestamp of the Last msg transmitted through.
Ivans
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Quote:
When I do a dis chs(<channel name>) I get a number of channels showing as running for the same RCVR chl name !

The IP Address shown in these are all the same, confirming the fact that they are all from the same sender server.

The sender channels could be on the same server, but on separate queue managers, but let's assume that there are several instances of a channel (all with the same name) between the same two queue managers...
open a PMR.

I'd be interested to know if there are also several instances of the sender channel showing on the sender queue manager.

Cheers,
Ian
tkaravind
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

One server hosts only one Queue manager...Also the channels are unique to a Queue manager since they are prefixed by the sending Queue manager name as per standrads in our setup.

I could not find several instances of the Sender running at the time I see this happening on the Receiver.

So to me it looks like the Receiving Qmgr did not successfully close it's previous channel connections for some reason. They were left hanging even after an AdoptNewMCA was set to correct such situations.

However - what surprises me is even in that case - the new Sender channel attempting to connect should be left in a RETRYING state and not allowed to run this way (if a previous RCVR instances is already "alive") !
xxx
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

One instance of Receiver with may sender channels connecting.

I guess the only way it is possible is you are sending non Persistent messages,

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Too many instances of the Receiver channel at the same time
Jump to: