ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » Mainframe Software Distribution for CICS & IMS

Mainframe Software Distribution for CICS & IMS « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
BLT
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Mainframe Software Distribution for CICS & IMS Reply with quote

Here is the problem at hand:
A few years back I was tasked to create a means to distribute our Mainframe CICS and IMS application software (including compiled loadlibs) to one of our largest clients. I could use any way available but it had to be done quick and be bullet proof. Low and behold I found that the client and my company had PKWARE on the mainframe. Problem solved, or so I thought. Now management (#&$#*@) wants this solution for all Mainframe clients and wants no added software to be purchased on the client end to accomplish the task.

I have heard of the GZIP utility on the Mainframe but am under the impression it is used for UNIX maintenance on the mainframe only.

Can anyone enlighten me on the capabilities of GZIP for the above mentioned task OR does anyone have a solution different than the road I am traveling on?

I appreciate any useful responses to this post.

Brian.
kevinf2349
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

If I were you I would simply use TSO XMIT and RECEIVE. I have never had a problem with that.

Once you do the transmit you can file transfer the output dataset (Remember to use BIN). There is also some freeware out there called XMIT manager that I recommend getting your hands on. http://www.cbttape.org/njw/ this will allow you to look at the files on a PC too.

Hope this helps
BLT
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used TSO XMIT before to send a module or two out.
The problem is that my applications + database files are somewhere in the 200mb - 300mb size range so I am not sure that XMIT will be a good solution.

Also without the compression client downloads would be greater depending on their network connection. PKWARE was able to compress about 15 datasets from about 275mb down to the one zip file which ended up being about 12mb.
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

TSO XMIT dataset with OUTDSN parameter to a sequential dataset.

FTP (Binary) the dataset to a PC file

Compress the PC file using any free PC zip program

Send zip file to client via Email

Client uncompresses zip file on PC

Client FTP's PC file to mainframe (binary)

Client TSO RECEIVE with INDSN to the dataset

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » Mainframe Software Distribution for CICS & IMS
Jump to: