ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Interchange Server + Adapters » Unit Testing

Unit Testing « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
fponcet
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Unit Testing Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi guys,

I wonder how you do Unit Testing with ICS. I have seen several techniques like using TestConnectors and Integrated Test Environment. However I dislike having to do "manual" operations like push a button to send an event/response or load business object data.

Does any of you use any other technique to do automatic unit tests?

Regards,

Felipe Poncet
kotha
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

I dont know about automatic tests but you can save BOs(after logging the field values ) and send them through test connectors. It saves time if you are testing a lot!!!
urs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

There might not be any automatic tests.. if there were, then no one has to really keep staring at their PC's !

This is only my idea, if there are any please let me know, i will be happy to learn them..

However, once you do a test run on one of your ICS components, you don't have to check it again by changing the values, instead you can proceed for a correctness of next ICS component... and make sure you make out the required functionality..

-- urs
fponcet
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

urs wrote:
There might not be any automatic tests.. if there were, then no one has to really keep staring at their PC's !

This is only my idea, if there are any please let me know, i will be happy to learn them..

However, once you do a test run on one of your ICS components, you don't have to check it again by changing the values, instead you can proceed for a correctness of next ICS component... and make sure you make out the required functionality..

-- urs

I am not a test engineer but I know that one of the basic things when testing is automate the test process. By doing that you can have dozens of prepared tests that you can quickly and automatically repeat right after every change you do in the code. These are called regression tests, and the main purpose is that you do not introduce new bugs when you fix one.

I wonder if IBM does that before they release a new FixPack or product version

Taking up again the topic: my initial idea was to build a custom connector that would read automatically the responses previouslly stored in .bo files (that way I could reuse business object stored to test the maps). That connector could simulate any other connector just as TestConnector does, but in an automatic flavour. However I was not able to find a suitable parser for .bo files so I am thinking in other alternatives like NameValue data handler. Any other idea is welcome.

Regards,

Felipe Poncet
recallsunny
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Speaking about automated tests, we used some batch scripts and some handy c/java utils to simulate most integrations involving technology adapters like MQ, JText, XML, HTTP, Webservices adapters.

If your adapters are in these lines, then it could be easier to test your integrations this way than look for custom adapters etc.. But if its application adapters then it may not be as easy.

Your idea of a common custom adapter does look appealing...
dunesand
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

I'm just happy when I'm able to get a message to come in one end, and go out the other with ICS I often forget to check whether the data is even valid! If it's not complaining about me forgetting to check this tick box, run that process, clear this repository, yadda yadda, I'm happy.

Jokes aside, I don't think this funcationality is built into the application. To be honest, I'm not too surprised because it is, at the end of the day, a data transform / router. It takes something and passes that onto something else. In of itself it doesn't generate its own data.

The project I'm working on at the moment needs a test harness, but what we're looking to do is get a batch of test messages generated externally, then feed them through ICS, checking the results.

If it goes from a File to a Database for example, then I'd generate all the files I need, knowing what I expect the data to look like. Once the test is complete, there'll be a query that goes away and looks and all the tables that have been generated, comparing them to some "correct" data. The query would contain the knowledge as to whether the regression was a success or not.
If I went the other way, then the query in the database would generate the batch of messages and I'd use a simple file comparer to check the results against what I know are "correct" messages.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Interchange Server + Adapters » Unit Testing
Jump to: