ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » Sorry, its a real newbie question.

Sorry, its a real newbie question. « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
emitbrownne
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Sorry, its a real newbie question. Reply with quote

Hi, does the term reinstate (as in reinstate at the point of backout) mean that the message is PUT back on the queue?

And if there is a trigger monitor set up for that queue should the reinstate be noticed by the monitor?

Cheers

Emitbrownne
wschutz
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

It could mean that. Are you reading this in MQ doc somewhere? If so, point to the doc so we can see the context.

There are many threads in the forum about triggering and backout of messages. You might want to try the "seach" button above.
emitbrownne
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
the doc I was looking at is here http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv6/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.mq.csqzal.doc/mkskbo.htm

I was looking at the skipping backout. The doc says it will reinstate on to the queue and I was wondering if this would be the same as a put, and then trigger a transaction. Or.... if the reinstate was just an update of the message.....

I'll have a mess around with the search... I tried "reinstate" but didnt find anything of use. I'll try the terms you suggest.

Cheers
wschutz
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Yikes .... its the ever popular MQGMO_MARK_SKIP_BACKOUT.

Try searching on that, and after reading those posts, come back here and tell us what you're trying to do. MSB is a bit tuff to explain, but I'm more than willing to help you if you explain what your requirements are.
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

Backing out a message can cause a retrigger. It might not, though.

A message that is in transaction is still "on the queue", it's just flagged in an uncommitted state.

Reinstatment generally means that the flag is reset. This will not, as far as I know, trigger an API Exit with a PUT call - just an MQBACK I think.
hopsala
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

emitbrownne wrote:
I was looking at the skipping backout. The doc says it will reinstate on to the queue and I was wondering if this would be the same as a put, and then trigger a transaction. Or.... if the reinstate was just an update of the message.....

You have to get your terms right in order for you to understand and be understood: one does not "trigger" a transaction (unless you mean some CICS transaction, and then you must be specific), in WMQ there is a mechanism called triggering, and a transaction mechanism which handles commits and backouts - these are entirely seperate concepts (though with inter-dependencies, of course). Also note that in the link you posted, MARK_SKIP_BACKOUT does *not* reinstate anything, they are referring to the fact that *MQBACK* (backout) reinstates msgs to q , i.e:
Quote:
As part of a unit of work, an application program can issue one or more MQGET calls to get messages from a queue. If the application program detects an error, it can back out the unit of work. This restores all the resources updated during that unit of work to the state that they were in before the unit of work started, and reinstates the messages retrieved by the MQGET calls.

Now, In this context, "reinstate" is simply used as plain English: to return to the way it was; that is, if you issued an MQGET under syncpoint, and you got a msg, naturally that msg is no longer available for any other application. But if you issue a backout, it will be "reinstated" to q, meaning that it will again be made available to any application opening the q.

As schutz said (quote: ) MARK_SKIP_BACKOUT is a very problematic option indeed, normally you don't really need to use it, and if you're not really carefully it will create havoc in your data integrity scheme. So, let us know your requirements, and we'll tell you how you should design it.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » Sorry, its a real newbie question.
Jump to: