ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Interchange Server + Adapters » FutureOfICS

FutureOfICS « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
unichigid
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: FutureOfICS Reply with quote

Novice

Hi,

I heard from one of the Presidents of todays IT consulting firms who says "ICS will be gone in 4 months and a new version would come into existence". How far is that true ?

As of my research, I think the Server Foundation v 6.0 is going to replace the existing ICS with J2EE as means.

Thanks,
Unichigid
vennela
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

A new version of a software product is almost inevitable.
But completely replacing a product is a different story.

The new version of WBISF has some features of ICS, Workflow along with some adapters.

That doesn't mean that ICS will be gone. Process Choreagrapher is supposed to be a replacement for workflow, but there are very few customers moving from workflow to PC as of today.
malammik
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

I hope IBM will drop it and forget about it. By far one of the worst products I have worked with or maybe I never figured it out. Documentation was bad too. Just a personal opinion.
koko
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

malammik wrote
Quote:
I hope IBM will drop it and forget about it. By far one of the worst products I have worked with or maybe I never figured it out. Documentation was bad too. Just a personal opinion.

Just curious if you dont like ICS in Integration world. What do you like???

I just want to know which other products are equally good as ICS functionally?? ( leave alone problems with support, installation, maintenence cost blah blah blah.....)

Or may be you are talking about WBISF??

Koko
malammik
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

It is not a matter of whether I "like" it. Products like MQ, CICS, AIX, DB2 for Z/OS are ROCK solid. They were developed by the highest standards of Software Engineering. They surpass their competitors both in the quality of reliability, performance and documention. I have all possible certs for MQ and message broker and really enjoy working with those products as I did for the past 7 years. Now, ICS is a piece of crap. I was unfortunate to have worked with it for 2 years. Documenation is horrible, support is bad, reliability is uncertain. You know the old saying "Nobody gets fired for buying IBM" Well, I had seen senior VPs demoted or fired because projects non completed on time and horrific production issues.
JLRowe
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

The successor to ICS is released at the end of the month.

It is called websphere process server 6.0, it is also the successor to WBISF 5.1

Quote:
As a result of rebranding, the product names have changed. WebSphere Process Server V6.0 is the follow-on product to WebSphere Business Integration Server Foundation 5.1.1 and WebSphere Integration Developer is the follow-on product to WebSphere Studio Application Developer Integration Edition V5.1.1. WebSphere Process Server V6.0 is also the follow-on product to WebSphere Business Integration Server V4.3.

http://www-306.ibm.com/fcgi-bin/common/ssi/ssialias?infotype=an&subtype=ca&appname=Demonstration&htmlfid=897/ENUS205-226
recallsunny
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Hopefully migration process to websphere process server 6.0 from existing versions ICS 4.x is not overly complex. We are having nightmares to proceed with even simple upgrade procedures for minor Fixpacks. Every new fixpack is breaking an existing functionality while trying to fix a bug.

I've worked with many versions of ICS & Crossworlds, but the current 4.3x version is the most error prone till date.
hopsala
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

malammik wrote:
Now, ICS is a piece of crap

Here here! Your resume reads like mine, give or take a few products; I also found ICS to be one of the worst products in the market.
However, in the IT world products are rarely "replaced", since people had already bought them and have support contracts, IBM (or any other company) can't simply withdraw it, for fear of lawsuits; it takes a long time for a product, even a truely ill-designed one, to fade out of use - usually about 15 years.
That said, IBM has, over the past few years, shortened their "backwards compatability" standard period again and again - if once you could buy a product knowing you'll have support for the next 10 years at least, now you don't know what'll happen in two years time.

My guess? ICS is here to stay, the EAI in its great confusion is yet to decide what it really wants, and until that happens, we can expect even greater headaches from other world-wonders as ICS.
rahdilarum
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: InterChange Server & Adapters a good marriage Reply with quote

Novice

I think ICS has its own philosophy of EAI. Since we first started to work with V4.1.1 we have identified several improvement & fixes that were made to the product as is the case with any other product. We will soon have a new release ICS 4.3.0.2 and there will be support from IBM. A very reputed telecomm company i know relies on ICS-based middleware solution running on a pSeries platform. The product does not run on zSeries platform unlike a Message Broker! I've enjoyed working with the product because of the ease to architect a solution, configure adapters and deploy a solution quickly. I would love to see some architectural changes made to the product like independence from CORBA. I would like to see some of the issues related to performance fixed. The tooling that comes with ICS is also joy to work with. As for documentation I would agree with the assesment here in other posts. But when is documentation enough and it is tricky when we want to find an answer to something quick and it is not explicitly stated in the manuals and we end up experimenting and learning the hardway. Now as far as the future of the product is concerned, ICS will be replaced with WebSphere Process Server 6.0 and the support for stand alone adapters will continue and new adapters will be developed based on JCA simultaneously. The WPS itself is an evolved version of ICS and the evolution continues with the adaptation to the Enterprise Integration Business. When the Process Server will be supported on zSeries platform WPS will probably gain the glory that the Message Broker enjoys today.

Thanks
Murali Behara
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Interchange Server + Adapters » FutureOfICS
Jump to: