ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » MQ for z/OS Disaster Recovery

MQ for z/OS Disaster Recovery « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
SuzyMari
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: MQ for z/OS Disaster Recovery Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a DR Test in my client and I need to restart a QM, in the alternate site. It is a QM (v5.3.1).
The full volume backups waste 2 or 3 hours.
Have anyone ever tried to use the commands SUSPEND QMGR LOG before the backups and after finished, RESUME QMGR LOG?
I would like to have another way to take copies, instead of let the Queue Manager down.
Tks.
EddieA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Quote:
Have anyone ever tried to use the commands SUSPEND QMGR LOG before the backups

Do you issue that command before you take your backups today. Are you planning to do this every time you take a backup.
Quote:
I would like to have another way to take copies, instead of let the Queue Manager down.

Will you be taking the QM down every time you take a backup in the "real world".

The idea of a DR Test is to ensure that the backups you are currently taking will be sufficient to perform a recovery. Taking the backups with "special conditions" is not the way to do it.

I thought the mainframe version had the ability to take, and recover from, a "fuzzy" backup. It's only the distributed world where you need to end the QM for a backup.

Cheers,
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

I'm by no means a mainframe expert, but I also thought the z/OS MQ software had the ability to keep duplicate logs. Presumably this would help in some way - possibly by allowing you to back up one set without taking down the qmgr.
Robbo
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We currently back up our page sets and bsds hourly, the Coupling facility for the shared queues daily, and the archived logs on a daily basis. We also make a daily copy of all queue / channel / processes / storage classes. We use fuzzy backups as we have a broker running 24/7.
JWJ
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Our approach is a bit different. First off, I'm not really sure how to deal with providing message recovery at the DR site. We do not have "Electronic Vaulting". Our DR backups consist of ABARS dataset backups, including the CSQINP file, and a PDS that contains the jobs necessary to allocate new page and log datasets. These tapes are sent out once a day to our offsite tape storage vendor. For local recovery, once a night, we do a fuzzy backup of the page files and also run the command to output all of the resource defining commands back into our CSQINP PDS. Prior to this command we make a backup of the CSQINP file. By the way, we are doing the CF structure backups once an hour.
As I said, I'm not sure what to commit to as to message recovery for DR, so we say we don't, and just recovery the Qmgr, but with no data.
Maybe if we get a offsite storage that we can electronically send logs to, we'll try to do a bit more.
Jerry
javagate
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

JWJ wrote:
just recovery the Qmgr, but with no data.
Jerry

If you just want to recover the queue-manager (no data) then there should be no need to send any logs offsite. Rather run the makedef utility and send the object defs offsite. say do this weekly? At the offsite delete the logcopy,bsds reallocate and reformat the PSID's then run the defs through the qmgr after you start it or stick in the startup JCL. In this case you bring the queue-manager up cold. No need to send anything off site except for the makdef objects, JCL to recreate the BSDS, Lopgcopy's, startup JCL, etc. Trying to recover MQ with the ARC's (B ony) at a DR hotsite is a trick in and of itself.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » MQ for z/OS Disaster Recovery
Jump to: