ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum IndexGeneral IBM MQ SupportMessage Id and Correlation Id Format

Message Id and Correlation Id Format View previous topic :: View next topic
rajaramanl
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:44 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi
i put messages in a queue with some Message Id and Correlation Id. but in queue i find these id in different format(a string of special characters). This are generated by CICS program while Message PUT. What may be the reason for different format. Can any one breif abt Message Id and Correlation Id how it is been handled by MQ Series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
StefanSievert
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 7:10 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Hi,
messageId and correlId are binary fields. So, if you put in a string or something like that and look at the message descriptor, you will most likely see the hex representation of that string. Be aware that, if you use strings for these fields and your messages leave the mainframe, these values are not subject to character set conversion but are treated as pure binary fields.
Is that anywhere near to what you are trying to do?
Stefan

rajaramanl
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

i generate these id's as string, and find special characters in the queue. i need the same id which i generate, for that which format to be set while message put. do i need to convert the format of the string.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
StefanSievert
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:40 pm Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

What do the id's look like when you generate it and what do they look like when you browse the queue? Can you provide examples?
How (with what tool/program) do you look at the queue?
rajaramanl
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:25 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

When i generate i give it as ACCTLKUP for both Message Id and Correlation Id. In the Queue i find it as.
Message Id :ÃâØ@ÔØâã@@@@@@@@·nYÊn
Correlation Id :ÁÃÃãÓÒä×@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
I user MQ Series Explorer and look into the Queue. When i retrieve the Messages using VB program also it looks the same.
muralidhar
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:37 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

If you want to messageID in readable format, use MessageIDHex instead of MessageID property of the MQMessage. This should solve your problem.
StefanSievert
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:57 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

You say you generate the Id's in CICS, so I am assuming on the mainframe. Is that correct?
Now, you say you are looking at the queue using MQExplorer and/or a VB application, so I am assuming non-mainframe.
I would really suspect that the whole problem is caused by the different character sets; EBCDIC on the mainframe, ASCII on Windows. As I said, the ID fields are treated as binary values and are not subject to EBCDIC/ASCII character set conversion. It is very likely that you see the EBCDIC values. The '@' looks very much like an EBCDIC 0x40 (blank).
You will run into problems if you use string values in the ID fields if your messages go across platforms with different character sets.
Cheers,
Stefan

rajaramanl
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:03 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thanks Stefan and your assumption is correct. Instead of using String values for ID's what other values can be used. can you tell some examples. will conversion help.

i understand ID fields will create problems in cross platforms. is it applicable for messages also. in my situation iam getting my messages correct.

MQSeries.net Forum IndexGeneral IBM MQ SupportMessage Id and Correlation Id Format
Jump to: