ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » CICS bridge and the CSAC transaction

CICS bridge and the CSAC transaction « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
royr
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: CICS bridge and the CSAC transaction Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi,

I have a question regarding the CICS bridge.

We are running CICS TS 1.3. We have our own implementation of the CICS bridge monitor and exit, which uses MQ for transport. It's sort of a hybrid between DPL and 3270, which is able to start a separate transaction per request, without using 3270 datastream.

Our bridge monitor program duplicates IBM's CKBR logic. It sits on its own request queue, waits for requests and starts the bridge transactions. If an error occurs while trying to EXEC CICS START the bridge transaction, it sends back an error message with the MQ CICS Header.

In the last few days I noticed that extra reply messages are being generated by the CICS transaction CSAC. It seems that our bridge monitor program tries to execute an "EXEC CICS START BREXIT TRANSID(id)". The request fails with TRANSIDERR. Then, out of nowhere, the CICS-supplied transaction CSAC starts and sends its own MQ reply (with higher MQ priority!). This client apps expect only one reply - ours. The extra reply messages clutter up the reply queues and create a mess.

This did not happen until a few days ago. It may have started due to some PTFs installed in the CICS but I'm not sure.

Can anyone tell me why is CSAC "interfering" with the bridge mechanism and where is this behaviour documented?

Thanks in advance,
Roy.
bob_buxton
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

CSAC is not generating MQ messages - there is very little CICS supplied code that is MQ aware.

CSAC is the CICS abnormal condition processor I can only surmise that it is being driven as part of CICS error handling and is somehow invoking your brexit routine. Does the message look like one that your exit might have built?

I am not aware of any recent changes to CICS that might have caused a change in behaviour or of problem reports from users of the real CKBR.

You may need to run a CICS trace to see if that sheds any light on the problem and if necessary raise a problem with IBM service.
royr
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

I ran a trace, and you're right: When there's an error STARTing the bridge transaction, CSAC runs instead - under the bridge exit. The bridge exit thinks it's running normally, under the bridge transaction, and sends back a reply. This is in addition to the bridge monitor's error reply.

My question is now: What changed in the last few days that makes CSAC execute? Is its activation controlled by some system parameters, or is it fixed? If CSAC is guarateed to run when the START command fails, I can disable the bridge monitor's error checking for the START command. If CSAC's activation is not guaranteed, I need to add some logic to the bridge exit, which skips processing when running under CSAC.

TIA,
Roy.
bob_buxton
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

I don't know what changed in CICS - it may be worth raising a PMR asking if it is intended behaviour that the bridge exit gets control when CSAC runs?

In CKBR if a Start fails we do a destructive get for the message prior to issuing the error reply message so either the bridge exit or the monitor will suceed in getting the message and issuing a reply but not both.
I have never seen the case where the bridge exit runs when the intended transaction fails to start

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » CICS bridge and the CSAC transaction
Jump to: