ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Installing OMEGAMON. What does it take? Do you like it?

Installing OMEGAMON. What does it take? Do you like it? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
jhues789
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Installing OMEGAMON. What does it take? Do you like it? Reply with quote

Apprentice

We just had the sales/tech team in talking to us about Omegamon. I was left with a question on How much effort does this product take to install and configure? On the iSeries? Intel?

If you are using it what are the positives? What doesn't work the way you thought it would?

How does it help in disasters? You know those days that the Queue manager has crashed and ever IBM doesn't have a clue?

Thanks in advance

Joan Hughes
UglyAngelX
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Installation, on platforms other than mainframe, is basic and easy to do. Not sure about the mainframe side, our guys seem to usually have an easy time with it, but there have been problems.

Positives? We think the name is cool.

Negatives? We were told that there were certain functions, at a later date we werere advise by their support that the functions did not work. I could not say it functions at 100% at anytime and if my life depended on it's reliability, I would be a dead man. Support???? Good luck when needing support, that can take days or weeks to resolve and most of the time, you end up resolving the issue on your own and they call you 2 weeks later and then want to know what you did........

Never really had any disasters, but if we did, we would not rely on this product to get us out of a jam.

Best advice...Run, run quickly!!!!
EB
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi
Well mostly I agree with UglyAngelX althoug I am not as strongly against it. Omegamon XE comes with some great overview across platforms.
In case og disaster (QMGR crash) you can easily roll out your objekt definitions from your xml file which is generated in CNP and you are up and running quickly provided you did make the extraction.
I am running omegamon xe with CNP and CMW on z/OS, HPUX, SUN Solaris and W2K. without it there would be considerable overtime....
Support however could definitivly be better.

Hope this helped

Regards
EB
jhues789
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thanks for the info............

Have you have any information on the future of Omegamon since the IBM purchase on Candle.

Do you think Omegamon will be a viable product much longer?

I would hope that IBM would incorporate some kind of MQ management package into Websphere not that they own a tool but who knows......

Thanks again for your input!!
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

IBM own Tivoli - which has quite reasonable MQ management options and a sort of starting point for MQSI management.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » Installing OMEGAMON. What does it take? Do you like it?
Jump to: