ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » User unable to connect to a particular queue manager

User unable to connect to a particular queue manager « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
jjdh
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I hope someone out there can help me with the following: I have a user (part of the mqm group) that is unable to connect to a particular queue manager in the box (Unix Solaris - MQSeries v5.1). The same user connects perfectly to the other queue managers and other users are able to connect to that particular queue manager. Any ideas? They will be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Javi Diaz

PS:the actual error when running runmqsc is "AMQ9508: Program cannot connect to the queue manager".
kolban
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Check the user's ennvironment variables. Compares those to all other users. If you have root authority run "su username" and try, this will connect to the queue manager as that user but not having run the user's .profile and hence with roots environment set.
jjdh
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried 'su username' and it's still happening. However root is also able to connect to that queue manager. I have also checked the users' environments (the ones that connect and the one that doesn't) and they seem to be identical.

javi
kolban
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

As the failing user, try running "id -a" to dump the user's group membership. Make sure that he is actively a member of mqm.

Can the user run "runmqsc QMName". What error is produced? Have a look in the AMQERR01 log files (both of them) and see if there is a corresponding queue manager logged error. If there is, what is the reported error?
jjdh
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run "id -a" and mqm appears as one of the groups this user belongs to.
Yes, the failing user can run "runmqsc QMName" (isn't that a valid proof that the user belongs to the mqm group?). This command works fine using another queue manager but it fails (AMQ9508: Program cannot connect to the queue manager.) when I used this particular queue manager. As for log files, nothing new is added to those when the command execution fails (these files haven't been updated since last week).

I know all this sounds very weird, especially when the failing user can connect successfully to other queue managers in the same box and also when other users can connect successfully to the queue manager in question.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to proposed things to check. Really appreciated.

javi

kolban
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Looking at the messages and codes manual, it appears that AMQ9508 should contain additional diagnostics. Where is this message appearing? Is that all the message says?
jjdh
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good and bad news. The good news is that a reboot of the machine seems to have solved the problem i.e. the failing user is now able to connect to this particular queue manager. The bad news is that i wasn't aware of this reboot and now i won't be able to find out what exactly caused this failure. Maybe restarting the queue manager would have been enough, or maybe not. Either way, this is very dangerous in production environments where reboots are normally not an option.
I had time though to check if there was any additional diagnostics for AMQ9508 (this was appearing on the screeen when runmqsc was run - nothing in the logs). Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything else. Should I find out something else about this, I'll let this forum know (you never know when this could reproduce).

THANKS A LOT for all the ideas/comments/suggestions posted.

Javi

kolban
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

An idea ... was the user newly added to the mqm group? If so, a restart of the queue manager would have caused a refresh of group membership associated with users. While the queue manager is running, try and create a new userid which is a member of the mqm group and see if that user exhibits the same problems.
jjdh
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea I'd say. However, I have tried this today and the new user (created as part of the mqm group while the queue manager was running) has been able to connect to the queue manager. I have also tried splitting the process in three: 1) creating the user as no member of the mqm group; 2)restarting the queue manager; 3) updating the user so becomes part of the mqm group at a later stage. This has also worked perfectly i.e. connection to the queue manager succeeded.
I do have an inkling though that the problem has something to do with your idea. I did not create the failing user but I'll try to find out what was the actual sequence of steps before the first 'runmqsc' failed.

javi

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » User unable to connect to a particular queue manager
Jump to: