ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » qstatus not showing connections but messages getting cleared

qstatus not showing connections but messages getting cleared « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
narayanarvr
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject: qstatus not showing connections but messages getting cleared Reply with quote

Voyager

Hi All,

Many thanks in advance, I am having a strange issue, when I check my qstatus no application is showing connected, and open input count also showing zero, but messages are getting cleared from this queue, there is no clue which app is clearing messages?
I am using MQ9.1.

Thanks.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Messages may be expiring. If the queue is a transmission queue, messages may have been sent to other qmgr.

If messages were non-persistent, qmgr restart would have purged them.

Tell us more. Only this one queue? What queue? What is it used for?
Andyh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

DIS QSTATUS shows the status at the instant the command is issued and hence if the application was only briefly connected would typically show no current connections or open handles.

LGETTIME would show when the last MQGET retrieved a message and could be used to show if messages are being consumed or are expiring.
Similarly, the queue level stats for the queue in question could be used to see how the messages are being consumed.

It's often interesting to look at the ratio of the different MQI calls in queue manager scope stats to get a broad idea of application efficiency. For example, the number of MQCONN and MQOPEN calls compared to the number of messages consumed.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

More basic questions:

Is this a new behavior? Is this a new queue? A new application? Is this a recently modified application?
exerk
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

bruce2359 wrote:
...If messages were non-persistent, qmgr restart would have purged them...

Depending on NPMCLASS (and other factors) of course...
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: qstatus not showing connections but messages getting cle Reply with quote

Jedi

narayanarvr wrote:
Hi All,
Many thanks in advance, I am having a strange issue, when I check my qstatus no application is showing connected, and open input count also showing zero, but messages are getting cleared from this queue, there is no clue which app is clearing messages?
I am using MQ9.1.
Thanks.

You could ask the team that supports the application. If you are feeling lucky, you could GET DISABLE the queue and wait for someone to complain.

Look at the queue depth. If it drops to zero or near zero on a regular basis (eg. every 10 mins), it is probably an app that runs on a schedule.

Also, check if there are any trigger attributes set on the queue.
narayanarvr
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject: qstatus not showing connections but messages getting cleared Reply with quote

Voyager

Hi All,

Many thanks for your time in replying, this is new application, and queue is a local queue, I don't have direct access to MQ server to do more analysis, this is not transmission queue, for this queue open input count and open output count shows always zero, but messages are consumed, I will also check other properties like NPMClass, message expiry
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Display QSTATUS will only show currently connected apps, not apps recently connected. An app can connect, MQGET message(s) and disconnect in micro- or nanoseconds.

Consider enabling queue statistics and accounting to determine which apps are accessing the queue.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » qstatus not showing connections but messages getting cleared
Jump to: