ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » IBM MQ .NET standalone client logging/tracing difficulties

IBM MQ .NET standalone client logging/tracing difficulties « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
madmalkav
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:30 am    Post subject: IBM MQ .NET standalone client logging/tracing difficulties Reply with quote

Novice

Recently I moved jobs to a company that makes exhaustive use of .NET, something that was barely used on my previous company.

We need to debug a problem happening with an application that uses IBM MQ 9.2 standalone library amqmdnetstd.dll

As instructed here , we have set up the MQDOTNET_TRACE_ON and other environment variables, but it isn't working for them. We can use them OK on a local test application.

I'm trying to figure out why it works for us but not for them. And here is where all my doubts come:

- I have read that this can be caused by a full client install on the server, but this is not the case either. Can it be that full install left some trace that prevents the standalone library for doing the trace? If so, how can I detect that?

- Is the .NET standalone client able to log into the Windows Event Log? If so, must this be enabled somehow? Because they don't see anything on the Event Log , and I don't see anything being logged there for my application either.

- Is something else I might be completely missing because of my lack of experience with Windows/ .NET?

Thanks for reading.

PS: Here IBM talks about an MQLOGLEVEL variable that perhaps can be interesting, but I can't find any information about it elsewhere. Anyone happens to know where I can find more information about MQLOGLEVEL? the TRC files generated by the standalone client are quite big, if this enables error files more similar to the AMQERR01.LOG files, it would be really useful for first/quick diagnostics.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

It could be a permissions issue. Is there diagnostic info in the errors directory, or event viewer?
madmalkav
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Nothing on the Event Viewer.

This is the standalone library, not a full client install, so there is no errors directory that I'm aware of. If the standalone library have the ability to create a errors folder and write stuff there, I haven't find where.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

madmalkav wrote:
Nothing on the Event Viewer.

This is the standalone library, not a full client install, so there is no errors directory that I'm aware of. If the standalone library have the ability to create a errors folder and write stuff there, I haven't find where.

Have you looked at the trace folder in the client install folder?
madmalkav
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Sorry but I don't understand your question, as I have stated there is no MQ client install, it is just the library fetched from NuGet and distributed with the application itself.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Quote:
As instructed here , we have set up the MQDOTNET_TRACE_ON and other environment variables, but it isn't working for them. We can use them OK on a local test application.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/ibm-mq/9.2?topic=imcns-downloading-mq-classes-net-standard-from-nuget-repository
If it isn't working for them, the environment variable may not be set for the process that is using the DLL.

Get a screen shot of their system environment variables, showing MQDOTNET_TRACE_ON is set to -1 or an integer greater than 0.

Windows System > Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > Environment Variables....

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/ibm-mq/9.2?topic=programs-using-stand-alone-mq-net-client
Also check settings of MQTRACEPATH etc in the mqtrace.config file.
madmalkav
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

"If it isn't working for them, the environment variable may not be set for the process that is using the DLL."

The variable was set systemwide by the sysadmin team and verified. This is the same way we did on our internal tests with a test application and worked OK for us too.

"Also check settings of MQTRACEPATH etc in the mqtrace.config file."

We are using amqmdnetstd.dll , so the mqtrace.config file isn't took into account, only the environment variables, as explained in the link you provided. We set MQTRACEPATH env variable to an applicative log folder where the application writes other logs, so I don't think is permissions related either.

PS:Actually, even if it was never going to work, the mqtrace.config method was also tested because that was the procedure that we have in our documentation at the moment the need for trace arised was that one .

PPS: I'm actually pretty sure about how the procedure works, I have tested it myself in another computer with an small test application without problem, I can enable tracing no problem with the env variables for amqmdnetstd.dll . We are waiting to get access to their code to compile locally and verify locally, but that will take some days probably (some bank holidays ongoing these days).
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Quote:
We are using amqmdnetstd.dll , so the mqtrace.config file isn't took into account, only the environment variables, as explained in the link you provided.

The link implies that mqtrace.config is applicable to amqmdnet.dll and amqmdnetstd.dll. It looks like amqmdnet.dll is becoming deprecated, replaced by amqmdnetstd.dll.

Opening an IBM Service Request will give you definitive answers. Personally, I have not used amqmdnetstd.dll and MQ .Net tracing.

Also note worthy:
Tracing is disabled if the mqtrace.config file is not found in the path that is specified application configuration file. However, First Failure Support Technology (FFST) and error logs are created in the application's directory, if the application has authority to write to the current directory.
madmalkav
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Long story short: tracing with .NET Standard is far less flexible than tracing with .NET Framework, and also terrible documented. I've opened a RFE about this topic.

Thanks everyone for your support with this issue.
robbz23
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever get this working. I am trying to get tracing working with the amqmdnetstd.dll with no luck. And yes it is terribly documented with some pages seemingly contradicting themselves.
madmalkav
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

I'm out of the office these days, but the team running that app and aerver managed to do it with env variables, either system wide or setting them in IIS.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » IBM MQ .NET standalone client logging/tracing difficulties
Jump to: