ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » MFT Topology Migration Inquiry

MFT Topology Migration Inquiry « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
edelmann77
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: MFT Topology Migration Inquiry Reply with quote

We have an MQ Cluster that supports 3 command/agent queue managers, and a single coordination qmgr. One of these Cmd qmgrs is also the Coordination qmgr (one of the cluster full repos). One of these 3 existing qmgrs that is not 'on prem' is what we'll call the customer MFT agent/env.

We are migrating all of this to an AWS env with approximately the same basic idea, 3 command qmgrs each with a dedicated agent, and a single coordination qmgrs, which shares one of the commands.

Because we have decided to keep the name of the MFT cluster the same from on premise to AWS, we're simply going to add the 2 new AWS based command qmgrs temporarily to the existing on premise cluster, at which point we'll have 5 unique command queue managers in the cluster.

Eventually, we'll create a new configuration, in AWS, using one of the 2 new command queue managers, which obviously will become the new coordination qmgrs everyone will reconfigure to use, and the old command qmgrs and old coordination qmgr will be decommissioned.

So here's the question - is it best to simply associate the new agents on the 2 new cmd qmgrs, with the existing on premise coordination environment and once all this is working (existing agents can send /receive files from the 2 new guys) -- THEN remap the 3 remaining cmd qmgrs (the 2 new AWS ones and the one customer cmd qmgr) into a new coordination/config env in AWS - or should we just go ahead and establish the new coordination env in AWS from the get go and move everyone else over to it as the "migration" so to speak? The benefit of the former would be that we know that the new agents work as expected in the existing cluster /coordination qmgr arrangement, but means that everyone has to then move in a big bang sort of way (while also promoting the 2 new AWS qmgrs as full repos of the existing cluster and demoting the existing ones to partials - and then removing them from the cluster).
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: MFT Topology Migration Inquiry Reply with quote

Jedi

edelmann77 wrote:
or should we just go ahead and establish the new coordination env in AWS from the get go and move everyone else over to it as the "migration" so to speak?

This seems to be the least complex and least risky approach.

Quote:
promoting the 2 new AWS qmgrs as full repos of the existing cluster and demoting the existing ones to partials - and then removing them from the cluster).

This should be done as a separate activity some time after the MFT migrations have been completed.

Its advisable to break up the work into manageable chunks. If you do more than one thing at a time, and it goes wrong, it can be very difficult and messy to investigate and resolve the issues. Plan carefully. Verify everything. Let it run for a few days before moving on to the next chunk. Rehearse it in a non-production environment before doing production.
edelmann77
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - ok that's pretty much what I decided to do too; but i am curious about a situation that I have with two agents connected to the same command queue manager, but each is defined in a different configuration. Transfer log/activity by the agent in the other config are only visible from MQ Explorer when connected to the other coordination qmgr.

So is it just a quirk of sorts, that this same agent is visible from the new config, the coordination qmgr of which also happens to be this same command qmgr? No activity is seen, but it does show up as "ready". I would have thought that since the agent in question is only registered with the other config, that it would not show up in the new config. And yet there it is.

My guess is, that any actual logged activity won't show up, until such time that we reconfigure this agent into the new config, at which point it would be removed from the other. My guess is that we need to

1) stop the agent
2) delete the agent (-f) - ensure it is removed from the other config
3) create a new config (using the same local command qmgr as the new coord qmgr)
4) recreate the agent under this config
5) either remove the old config or reassign the default config to the new one.

thanks!
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

edelmann77 wrote:
Thanks - ok that's pretty much what I decided to do too; but i am curious about a situation that I have with two agents connected to the same command queue manager, but each is defined in a different configuration. Transfer log/activity by the agent in the other config are only visible from MQ Explorer when connected to the other coordination qmgr.

So is it just a quirk of sorts, that this same agent is visible from the new config, the coordination qmgr of which also happens to be this same command qmgr? No activity is seen, but it does show up as "ready". I would have thought that since the agent in question is only registered with the other config, that it would not show up in the new config. And yet there it is.

My guess is, that any actual logged activity won't show up, until such time that we reconfigure this agent into the new config, at which point it would be removed from the other. My guess is that we need to

1) stop the agent
2) delete the agent (-f) - ensure it is removed from the other config
3) create a new config (using the same local command qmgr as the new coord qmgr)
4) recreate the agent under this config
5) either remove the old config or reassign the default config to the new one.

thanks!

Qmgr name and connection details can be manually updated in the coordination, command and agent .properties files. You don't need to recreate an agent to change these parameters. You can also move the agent's config directory to a different coord directory name, it will still work.

There is no dependency between command, agent and coord qmgrs. They can be the same or different.

A coord qmgr connection does not need to be defined in coordination.properties, as an agent publishes its agent and transfer status to the coord qmgr name via its agent qmgr.

Last edited by gbaddeley on Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
edelmann77
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i want to re-associate an agent under a different configuration however, isn't it necessary to recreate the agent with the appropriate -P setting (if more than one config exists at the time the agent is created)?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » MFT Topology Migration Inquiry
Jump to: