ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » How to use the IBM MQ Redistributable client with .NET

How to use the IBM MQ Redistributable client with .NET « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
michel123
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:34 am    Post subject: How to use the IBM MQ Redistributable client with .NET Reply with quote

Having downloaded the redistributable IBM MQ client "9.3.0.1-IBM-MQC-Redist-Win64.zip" I am unsure how to use this in a .NET console app.
Installing the full MQ server is not an option, this must be a method where DLLs are bundled with the application because it shall run in an environment, where installing MSI or the like is not an option.

I require unmanaged connections to the MQ server because I need to control which TLS cipher is used and only the unmanaged client allows me to do that.

I am getting an error code 2538 when I try to connect to the queue manager, when I reference amqmdnet.dll from that package.

If I install the MQ server on the same machine and reference amqmdnet.dll from the MQ server installation, everything works fine.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: How to use the IBM MQ Redistributable client with .NET Reply with quote

Poobah

michel123 wrote:
Having downloaded the redistributable IBM MQ client "9.3.0.1-IBM-MQC-Redist-Win64.zip"

What did you next do after downloading the .zip file?

For example, did you read the readme file? Then what?
michel123
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The readme which just says
Quote:
This directory contains the MQ Redistributable Client package
and components.

See the licenses subdirectory for more information.

Version:

I tried copying all the files from the bin folder to the output dir of my app. I discovered that the IBM library is unable to find the required assemblies, because if I use the DEVPATH trick described in the manual, things work. But since using the DEVPATH technique is discouraged, this is not a viable solution.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

michel123 wrote:
Quote:
... if I use the DEVPATH trick described in the manual, things work. But since using the DEVPATH technique is discouraged, this is not a viable solution.

DEVPATH is not a trick; rather, it's a method to configure the environment. Who discourages DEVPATH use? And, more importantly, why?
michel123
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruce2359 wrote:
michel123 wrote:
Quote:
... if I use the DEVPATH trick described in the manual, things work. But since using the DEVPATH technique is discouraged, this is not a viable solution.

DEVPATH is not a trick; rather, it's a method to configure the environment. Who discourages DEVPATH use? And, more importantly, why?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/configure-apps/how-to-locate-assemblies-by-using-devpath
Quote:
This is an advanced feature, intended only for development.
and as to why
Quote:
Use this setting only at development time. The runtime does not check the versions on strong-named assemblies found in the DEVPATH. It simply uses the first assembly it finds.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

bruce2359 wrote:
michel123 wrote:
.. if I use the DEVPATH trick described in the manual, things work. But since using the DEVPATH technique is discouraged, this is not a viable solution.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/ibm-mq/9.3?topic=windows-net-application-runtime-only
makes it quite clear how MQ DLL's are located by GAC, Probing or DEVPATH. If this doesn't work, there is something wrong with your installation, setup or application.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » How to use the IBM MQ Redistributable client with .NET
Jump to: