ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQ Container in Azure with persistent storage

MQ Container in Azure with persistent storage « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
nmurn5
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: MQ Container in Azure with persistent storage Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm doing a POC / project for my own knowledge to stand up a single qmgr in a container in Azure with persistent storage. My question real quick has anyone done this successfully? Reason I ask is I'm able to do this locally on a linux VM...actually have a bunch of qmgrs running in containers but when I move to Azure things get complicated.

I'm able to stand up an MQ container(with no storage) in Azure container instances no problem. The problem seems to be the type of persistent storage. I think I've tried every kind of storage (NFSv4, v3, SMB, etc). Some work, and by work I mean they attach the storage and I see it mounted when i /bin/bash in and then boom the container terminates and goes into a reboot cycle.

I found a bunch of pages saying that MQ Containers can only do NFSv4 in Azure for persistent storage, but then I found another page that says container instances don't support NFSv4 as of 2021 lol.

I can't really find a consistent "this is the proper way to do this" outside of the ibmmq/mq github page which is how I got started down this whole rabbit hole but that page is basically for local / vms.

So back to my question, has anyone stood up an MQ Container in Azure w/ persistent storage and if so, I guess the main question I would have is what type of storage did you use? If I can get that ironed out I think I can get through the rest.

I can post up dockerfiles, the commands I'm running from az CLI, etc if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance!
nmurn5
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think i might have found why things are not working. Looks like Azure file share requires the container to run as root which I think as of 9.1.x the ibmmq/mq image / container is running as mqm instead of root now.

Also looks like AFS mounts are limited to CIFS which isn't going to work either. Interesting.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQ Container in Azure with persistent storage
Jump to: