ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » UTF-8 to ISO-8859-8 EBCDIC Conversion

UTF-8 to ISO-8859-8 EBCDIC Conversion « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
18tillidie
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: UTF-8 to ISO-8859-8 EBCDIC Conversion Reply with quote

Hi,

I need to convert a file on Unix UTF-8 to ebcdic ISO-8859-8 format. Need help to identify the exact ccsid and encoding for conversion.

I am using SFTP mechanism of the file input( pull utf-8 ) and output node(Push EBCDIC). SFTP uses binary transfer by default.

Earlier I was able to convert EBCDIC file to readable UTF-8 using below CCSID and encoding.

DECLARE fileData CHARACTER CAST(InputRoot.BLOB.BLOB AS CHARACTER CCSID 37 ENCODING 546);

Now I need help to do the conversion the other way round.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

AFAIK you don't get full UTF-8 to EBCDIC conversion.
You will get a subset of UTF-8 to EBCDIC depending on the EBCDIC code page (arab, israeli, hindu etc...)
So be prepared that some chars of your UTF-8 file might not be convertible into your EBCDIC target code page (37 is standard US and 500 is International engiish)... :enjoy:
rekarm01
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: UTF-8 to ISO-8859-8 EBCDIC Conversion Reply with quote

Grand Master

18tillidie wrote:
I need to convert a file on Unix UTF-8 to ebcdic ISO-8859-8 format. Need help to identify the exact ccsid and encoding for conversion.

ISO-8859-8 is ASCII-based, not EBCDIC. It uses a Latin/Hebrew character set. Some possibly relevant ccsids are:
  • ccsid=819, Latin-1 USA/Canada/W.Europe (ISO 8859-1)
  • ccsid=037, Latin-1 USA/Canada/W.Europe (EBCDIC)
  • ccsid=916, Latin/Hebrew (ISO 8859-8)
  • ccsid=424, Latin/Hebrew (EBCDIC)
  • ccsid=1208, UTF-8

Converting between UTF-8 and single byte character sets does not require an Encoding, but it is typically 273 for big-endian platforms (like Unix), 546 for little-endian platforms (like Windows), or 785 for z/OS.

18tillidie wrote:
I am using SFTP mechanism of the file input( pull utf-8 ) and output node(Push EBCDIC). SFTP uses binary transfer by default.

When using character-based parsers, (like XMLNSC, or JSON), it's usually sufficient for input to specify the input ccsid on the FileInput node, or for output to set the OutputRoot.Properties.CodedCharSetID, and let the parser performs the conversion automatically. But BLOB requires an explicit CAST. For input, something like:

Code:
DECLARE fileData CHARACTER CAST(InputRoot.BLOB.BLOB AS CHARACTER CCSID InputRoot.Properties.CodedCharSetID);

Or for output, something like:

Code:
SET OutputRoot.Properties.CodedCharSetID = 37;  -- Latin-1, EBCDIC
SET OutputRoot.BLOB.BLOB = CAST(fileData AS BLOB CCSID OutputRoot.Properties.CodedCharSetID);

And, as fjb_saper mentioned, if the message contains characters outside of the source/target character set, then the CAST will throw an exception.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » UTF-8 to ISO-8859-8 EBCDIC Conversion
Jump to: