ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » MQ Exlporer as tool for Centralized MQ infra administration

MQ Exlporer as tool for Centralized MQ infra administration « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
dakoroni
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: MQ Exlporer as tool for Centralized MQ infra administration Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hello MQ forum users,

Your advise on the following issue will me much appreciated.

I have a customer (bank) request to use MQ explorer as a tool
for centralized administration of the whole MQ infra which is consisted of MQ managers deployed across all platforms (Windows, AIX, Linux, iSeries, zSeries).

The client proposed scenario advises us to setup an intermediate "Jump" Server/Workstation (Windows or Linux), hosting MQ explorer (v9.1.4) with enabled access against all target MQ systems and to be used by only a few (i.e. 3-5) MQ admins.

Is this feasible? Is this a valid scenario?
I am wondering whether MQ explorer was designed for that purpose.

P.S.
I have read an IBM article (how-run-multiple-instances-mq-explorer-75-or-80) which it mentions (for Windows) that " In MQ 7.5 or 8.0, it is not possible to run multiple instances of MQ Explorer. In MQ 7.0 you could enable the workspace selection through preferences, but this is no longer present in MQ 7.5 and later versions ", suggesting to install MQ explorer as "Other Perspective" in Eclipse.
FYI, this is something I have tried (Win 8.1, Win 10), but it doesn't work smoothly.. (Although it connets to queue manager it doesn't retrieve queues, channels, etc....)

Any advise on the above, will be much appreciated.

Cheers Nick.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: MQ Exlporer as tool for Centralized MQ infra administrat Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

dakoroni wrote:
I am wondering whether MQ explorer was designed for that purpose.

It wasn't.

It's a perfectly robust tool but given the number of platforms you mention I'm picturing at least a medium sized commercial estate. In this scenario I would put it to you that you'll get more bang for your buck using one of the non-IBM commercial administration tools. Not only does that give you the adminstration you want, most if not all will give you more granular security (you'd be amazed how many people decide they need some form of access), monitoring, provisioning and all sorts of good things.
dakoroni
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: MQ Exlporer as tool for Centralized MQ infra administrat Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thanks for your time and response.

As I have metioned, it is about a bank organization.

FYI, currently there are separated MQ admins per MQ platform (Wintel, AIX/Linux, z/OS, iSeries) and I am not certain that cust. is willing to pay just for administering mutli-platform queue managers in a centralized way... they just asking if MQ explorer can do the job for them, so I have to discuss it.

BTW, i have reviewed MQ Series admin tools, both Freeware & Commercial, posted at https://www.capitalware.com/mqseries.html

Looking into MQ free admin tools -> https://www.capitalware.com/mq_tools.html#mqadmin,
I can see that MQ explorer is listed.

Also looking into MQ commercial admin tools ->
https://www.capitalware.com/mq_tools_comm.html#mqadmin
i focused on BMC Mainview among others, given that Bank is already using
BMC Remedy for ChangeManagement and HelpDesk.
BTW, is there a specific suggestion from your side to keep it under my consderation?

Thanks in advance
Cheers Nick.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: MQ Exlporer as tool for Centralized MQ infra administrat Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

dakoroni wrote:
they just asking if MQ explorer can do the job for them, so I have to discuss it.

Like I said it's perfectly robust. I clearly read over the bit in your post where you mentioned bank (my bad!) but I think the biggest problem you'll find is the lake of granular security in MQ Explorer will make the security team in most banks shake their heads at it. So MQ Explorer has no functional problems, but some operational ones.

dakoroni wrote:

I am not certain that cust. is willing to pay just for administering mutli-platform queue managers in a centralized way...
i focused on BMC Mainview among others, given that Bank is already using
BMC Remedy for ChangeManagement and HelpDesk.

These two statements are at odds. The customer is clearly prepared to pay to centralize some functions, and if they already have a relationshp with BMC they could use other BMC tools at a small incremental cost (depending on their negociating skills).

Given the option, I would use Truesight over Mainview. In the mixed environment you have, there are a number of use cases for Truesight which makes it easier to justify. Your client may not want to pay for a centralized MQ administration tool, but they may be prepared to pay for a centralized network and server administration tool which integrates with Remedy and does MQ administration as part of it's portfolio.

(No warrany express or implied is included with this advice which is delivered as-is. No liability is accepted for any loss or damage howsoever caused as a direct or indirect result of this advice. The value of your investements may go down as well as up, your milage may vary, she said she was eighteen and I'm not saying another word without my lawyer)
dakoroni
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: MQ Exlporer as tool for Centralized MQ infra administrat Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thanks for your input.

Jut ot be clear, the cust. doesn't need another pure monitoring tool, since they use already Microsoft SCOM and CA APM (Broadcom), but they need a tool just for remote MQ infra (multi platform) administration.
Since i am not familiar with BMC product offerings, I assume you refer to TrueSite Middleware monitor -> https://www.bmc.com/it-solutions/middleware-management.html (correct?)
Do you think that it fits better than MainView (which i think is installed on Mainframe?) in my case?
What about other cost efficient tools like Qflex?

Cheers Nick.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: MQ Exlporer as tool for Centralized MQ infra administrat Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

dakoroni wrote:
Since i am not familiar with BMC product offerings, I assume you refer to TrueSite Middleware monitor -> https://www.bmc.com/it-solutions/middleware-management.html (correct?)

Yes, if you click the Truesight link on that page you get to the PDF I linked to in my post.

dakoroni wrote:

Do you think that it fits better than MainView (which i think is installed on Mainframe?) in my case?

Not if you already have Mainview and can use it without additional cost. If not, I stand by my previous statement:

Quote:
Given the option, I would use Truesight over Mainview.

dakoroni wrote:

What about other cost efficient tools like Qflex?

What about them? They all have strengths and weaknesses; what they don't have is a vendor relationship with your site, which is why I pushed the BMC tooling. It's typically cheaper and easier (from a procurement point of view) to add something to an existing purchase than to start fresh but if that's not your experience then have at it. Assemble a list of products (including QFlex) and evaluate which best meets your needs.

I still think any of them will give you a better cost/benefit case than MQ Explorer, which is where I came in.
dakoroni
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: MQ Exlporer as tool for Centralized MQ infra administrat Reply with quote

Acolyte

Many thanks for your time and clarifications
dakoroni
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: MQ Exlporer as tool for Centralized MQ infra administrat Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi again,

Just one more clarification:
Since Bank is already using Broadcom CA APM for MQ monitoring (among other apps), I was wondering if this vendor offers also a product about MQ administration/mamangement, so that we can take advantage of Bank's relationship with that vendor.
After a quick search i wasn't able to find someting relevant..
Do you have other feedback?

Cheers Nick.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: MQ Exlporer as tool for Centralized MQ infra administrat Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

dakoroni wrote:
After a quick search i wasn't able to find someting relevant.

Mr. Google suggested this to me.

But this question is better presented to your account manager.
dakoroni
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: MQ Exlporer as tool for Centralized MQ infra administrat Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thanks for your time and assitance:)

Looking at the link you sent, the CA SYSVIEW Option for MQ is referred as MAINFRAME monitoring and management tool for IBM MQ.
I will further elaborate on vendors with multiplatform collaborative solutions.

Thanks again,
Cheers Nick.[/url]

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » MQ Exlporer as tool for Centralized MQ infra administration
Jump to: