ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Defining XPaths in UDP to handle future new file formats

Defining XPaths in UDP to handle future new file formats « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Kodi
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Defining XPaths in UDP to handle future new file formats Reply with quote

We are building a message flow integration on IIB to parse application files, perform duplicate data check with the DB data and then insert the file in DB as BLOB. The issue is that these files are not of XML type but some other proprietary file type like .dtax, .sfra, etc. but the contents are XML payload. There is a possibility that these XMLs structures could change in the future with product upgrades or enhancements. The ask is to define the Xpaths of the specific XML fields as UDP properties so that the logic can be expanded in the future to handle any new XML structures that are introduced.

Is it a good design to define XPaths outside of the compiled code? If we take this approach would it introduce any performance and run-time errors risks?

The given integration has to handle around 8k files which are .xml, .sfra, .dtx, etc. The payload size in under 500KB and there are four fields that would be defined as XPaths in UDP file.

Thanks in advance for any advise and suggestions.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Moved to Broker forum.
timber
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Quote:
these files are not of XML type but some other proprietary file type like .dtax, .sfra, etc. but the contents are XML payload
[quote]The files are XML if they are guaranteed to contain well-formed XML. I think you mean that the schema for the XML might change.
Quote:
Is it a good design to define XPaths outside of the compiled code?
I understand why you would ask that question, but I am going to play safe. I don't have enough information to judge whether the structure of the XML is likely to change. I don't know how much of a business impact that would have.
I will say this, though. Externalising the XPaths will reduce the impact of a change to the XML structure. But these integration flows might still require fixes/enhancements in future for reasons that cannot be anticipated now.
Quote:
The given integration has to handle around 8k files which are .xml, .sfra, .dtx, etc. The payload size in under 500KB and there are four fields that would be defined as XPaths in UDP file.
I assume you want guidance on whether this will perform adequately. Again, we don't know enough to make that judgement. You should run some performance tests before deploying this solution (and maybe before developing it).
Kodi
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks @timber. I have the same thoughts as you stated and your response is helpful.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Defining XPaths in UDP to handle future new file formats
Jump to: