ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Reasons for damaged objects?

Reasons for damaged objects? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
MQMB&WAS
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reasons for damaged objects? Reply with quote

Centurion

Hello experts,

I had a damaged mq object and I was able to recover it with rcrmqobj.
But, how do I find the cause for the damage? How to check for the exact reason? And what are the possible causes?

Appreciate your time.

Thanks
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Two of my favorite causes:
- the queue-holding disk recordable media is damaged
- someone in the mqm group or with superuser rights navigated down the file system path under qmgrs/yourqmgr/queues, and deleted the queue pointer at the bottom
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

There also used to be some tech note that said in extreme circumstances while using syncpoint there was a slight chance of corrupting an object (queue).

An other example would be about starting a multi-instance qmgr in a replicated data center when the primary is running and the file locks are not getting replicated...
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

fjb_saper wrote:
There also used to be some tech note that said in extreme circumstances while using syncpoint there was a slight chance of corrupting an object (queue).

An other example would be about starting a multi-instance qmgr in a replicated data center when the primary is running and the file locks are not getting replicated...

MQMB&WAS, to better help you, please provide us with detailed information on your MQ configuration.
Andyh
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

"There also used to be some tech note that said in extreme circumstances while using syncpoint there was a slight chance of corrupting an object (queue). "

It's possible that such a tech note existed, but it would only go to show that you shouldn't believe everything you read !!!

A damaged object reflects some inconsistency in either the memory image of a queue, or the disk image of a queue. It might be caused by something external to MQ (typically applies to an inconsistency in the disk image), or internal (an APARable bug in MQ code).

In the early days of MQ damaged objects were much more common, but nowadays reports of damaged objects are much less frequent, and more often caused by operational errors (e.g. truncating/deleting queue files).

Manual changes to any MQ files should be avoided wherever possible, for example one of the big advantages of automatic log management in MQ V9 is that it removes one past reason that customers might have had for deleting MQ files.
If you ever start to run out of file space in an MQ related file system you should be VERY WARY of modifying anything directly at the file level, for example a CLEAR QL(xxx) has a much more predictable outcome than deleting a queue file.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Other possible reasons
- MQ queue file system becomes full
- OS crashes
- Critical MQ processes crash, usually due to:
- Severe resource issues (eg. running out of shared memory or semaphores, long lock waits on semaphores)
Andyh
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Sorry to disagree, but from my perspective NONE of those are acceptable reasons for a damaged MQ object. If MQ were to report a damaged object under those conditions (assuming the underlying filesystem is intact (it should be!)) I'd consider it APARable.

Regards
Andy.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Andyh wrote:
... (assuming the underlying filesystem is intact ...

File system Read/Write/Execute permission bits are set appropriately during installation, and should not need to be changed unless directed to do so by IBM product support.

Quite a while ago, one of my clients responded to a developer request to change permission bits in order to resolve an application 2035 R/C. Other clients have mistakenly added developers and other non-administrators to the mqm (or equivalent) groups.

MQ application users/groups are granted access to MQ objects by access control lists (ACLs), and NOT by RWX permission bits. Membership in the mqm (or equivalent) admin groups are for MQ administrators. mqm membership should NOT be granted to end-users, developers, and the like.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Andyh wrote:
Sorry to disagree, but from my perspective NONE of those are acceptable reasons for a damaged MQ object. If MQ were to report a damaged object under those conditions (assuming the underlying filesystem is intact (it should be!)) I'd consider it APARable.
Regards Andy.

Hi Andy. These reasons will not generally cause damaged MQ objects, but they might under certain circumstances. We have had several incidents like these on large production systems and there was no damage. It demonstrates that MQ is very resilient to external failures.
HubertKleinmanns
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

gbaddeley wrote:
Andyh wrote:
Regards Andy.

Hi Andy. These reasons will not generally cause damaged MQ objects, but they might under certain circumstances. We have had several incidents like these on large production systems and there was no damage. It demonstrates that MQ is very resilient to external failures.

I#m working with MQ for more than 20 years with more than 1000 QMgrs, and I found damaged objects in real live only three or four times.

In MQ trainings damaged objects are forced by removing the physical queue file (and recreated by "rcrmqobj" ).
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

HubertKleinmanns wrote:
In MQ training, damaged objects are forced by removing the physical queue file (and recreated by "rcrmqobj" ).

Yes, IBM's WM15n System Administration hands-on training class includes a lab exercise that demonstrates that someone with mqm (or equivalent) o/s-level authority can damage the file system, resulting in a 'damaged object' error.

Andyh wrote:
... (assuming the underlying filesystem is intact ...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Reasons for damaged objects?
Jump to: