ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Posted content with non-ASCII characters

Posted content with non-ASCII characters « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
rekarm01
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Posted content with non-ASCII characters Reply with quote

Grand Master

I split this off from a separate topic.

hughson wrote:
Most common ones I see are single quotes and hyphens, which are printable characters, but just a different version of them than you get when you just type in the character. I over-type all of those characters in the quoted text until it works.

Some posters copy-paste from another editor into the browser, and don't realize that many editors have "smart quotes" or similar functionality, which silently replaces ASCII characters with non-ASCII variants.

HubertKleinmanns wrote:
I also had the situation, that I coudn't see the preview (it was just empty), but the submit was fine

That would tend to discourage proof-reading before posting. Does [Submit] always work? Maybe it's just the [Preview] that's broken. I wouldn't normally consider submitting a post without previewing it first, (not even this one). [Preview] seems to like UTF-8 though. For example, the quote mark in the word "doesn’t" unexpectedly previews just fine as-is, even if it doesn't display properly. So, one way to address this issue might be for the web site to convert from Latin-1 to UTF-8 (including any static file content):

Quote:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1" >

That could also fix the "FAQ  Usergroups" in the upper-right corner of the page.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Posted content with non-ASCII characters
Jump to: