ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Broker agent ?

Broker agent ? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Broker agent ? Reply with quote

Knight

I am using IIB V9 on linux.

On this web page
"How do you change the max JVM Heap Size in IIB or WMB?"
https://developer.ibm.com/answers/questions/176620/how-do-you-change-the-max-jvm-heap-size-in-iib-or.html

It has -b agent as the parameter

In the info center the mqsichangeproperties command has paramter -b

-b ComponentName
(Optional) The name of the component. Valid values are httplistener, securitycache, cachemanager, webadmin, crlFile. The properties associated with these components affect the whole broker.

-b agent is not mentioned.

There is not much description about "agent" when I search the info center (perhaps I did not use the right search argument).

For my education purpose, what is this agent and what is it use for ? what is the default value of the JVM heap size for the agent. Is this some kind of internal parameter that we do not normally have to aorry about ? Where can I found more info on the agent.
adubya
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

"agent" is one of the values you listed from the infocenter i.e. httplistener, securitycache, cachemanager, webadmin, crlFile.

The poster in the IBM developer link you included was using "agent" to mean one of these values.

What are you looking to do ?
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Quote:
"agent" is one of the values you listed from the infocenter i.e. httplistener, securitycache, cachemanager, webadmin, crlFile.

But I tried this on my broker

mqsireportproperties MYBRKPR1 -b agent -n jvmMaxHeapSize -o ComIbmJVMManager

BIP8071I: Successful command completion.

This makes me believe that "agent" is a component under the broker on top of what is listed.
Or do you means that agent is just a name for all the components httplistener, securitycache, cachemanager, webadmin, crlFile. (i.e. the command shows me that all these components has a jvmMaxHeapSize of
393216000 and I do not need to issue the command to individual component)
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

I test again, the command against the other component listed does not work.

For example
mqsireportproperties MYBRKPR1 -o ComIbmJVMManager -b httplistener -n jvmMaxHeapSize

BIP2051E: Broker MYBRKPP1 (UUID 23fcfd08-3f9a-11e5-81cf-0afedf320000) could not process an internal configuration message to completion, the problem was caused by 'httplistener'
mqjeff
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The "agent" is the thing that starts the Broker.

Everything else mentioned is a component inside the broker, which has already been started by the agent.
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Quote:

Again for educational purpose. Since there is not much in the info center on the "agent". it seems to me that it is one of those internal component that just runs.
It is the developer's web page title ""How do you change the max JVM Heap Size in IIB or WMB?" that raise my curiosity on the topic. That means there may be a need to tune the JVM heap size under certain circumstances. But what are the circumstances ?
smdavies99
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

KIT_INC wrote:
Quote:

Again for educational purpose. Since there is not much in the info center on the "agent". it seems to me that it is one of those internal component that just runs.
It is the developer's web page title ""How do you change the max JVM Heap Size in IIB or WMB?" that raise my curiosity on the topic. That means there may be a need to tune the JVM heap size under certain circumstances. But what are the circumstances ?

There have been a good few similar questions about heap size before. I'm sure that searching this forum will turn up the answer for you.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
Craig B
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

As some of the previous replies have mentioned "agent" refers to the administration component that runs inside the bipbroker process. Prior to V7 the bipbroker process existed to manage the DataFlowEngine processes (execution groups) and handled the administration requests from the Broker commands and ConfigManager. As such it did not require any external settings to influence how it ran. In V7 the configManager was removed from the product and bipbroker took over the role of handling the CMP (Integration API) requests that used to be sent to the ConfigManager. As such any Toolkit, MBX requests or deploys would be sent to the new component running inside bipbroker. This new processing had some java processing in it primarily around unzipping BAR Files etc. As such the capability was added to increase the JVM size of the bipbroker process. This was not documented as it was felt the default size was large enough to handle most size bar files but the option was there should users encounter any issues. In WMB (IIB) V8 a REST administration API was added. This was also handled by bipbroker and as such bipbroker now runs a HTTP(S) connector and the servlet to handle the rest requests. As such more Java processing was added which use the JVM more. This REST API is primarily used by the WebUI that was also introduced in V8 and extended through V9 and V10.

You can view the default settings for the agents JVM by issuing the following command:

mqsireportproperties MQSI_BROKER -b agent -o ComIbmJVMManager -r

This will also show you the other properties that can be set on the agent JVM.
In summary you only need to be concerned about these settings if you are deploying extremely large BAR files or if your are heavy users of the WebUI and/or REST API.
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Craig B, Thanks a lot for the detail explanation.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

if you want to know more about the agent try the following
Code:
mqsireportproperties <integration node name> -b agent -o AllReportableEntityNames -a

It will give you the list of the entity names that you can get information on with the -b agent option.

Have fun

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Broker agent ?
Jump to: